Dual element question

Started by freakaccident, November 23, 2012, 09:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakaccident

I've read the susanminor article but they aren't very clear on what and why you need to grind "something".  From the pics I assume that they are grinding the factory brackets so the wiring can be fed through.

Is there an easier way?  I was planning on just drilling the holes in the reflector and running wires to the factory element.  If they are enclosed in that factory bracket I'm not sure how to do it.  I haven't pulled it apart yet but there must be an easier way than grinding away at that.

rexster

The element is held in by ceramic clamps. In order to run extra wires to the second element, you have to notch out the ceramic enough to make room for the wires running to the second element. Dremel tool and coarse stone or high speed cutter is the way to go to remove the material. There's no easier way that I know of
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

freakaccident

Quote from: rexster on November 23, 2012, 09:39:37 PM
The element is held in by ceramic clamps. In order to run extra wires to the second element, you have to notch out the ceramic enough to make room for the wires running to the second element. Dremel tool and coarse stone or high speed cutter is the way to go to remove the material. There's no easier way that I know of

Why not just drill new holes for the new wires, cut existing wires, and splice in?

Habanero Smoker

There should have been a photo showing the notch, but I see it is not there.

I would avoid drilling holes in the cabinet. It is much easier to make that notch in the ceramic. You don't need an electric tool to grind the notch, although it is faster to use one. A rat-tail file works just as well; that is what I used. Possibly using the edge of a flat file may work.

Edited:
I took another look at the instructions. In step #6, you will see the wire coming from the notch to the second element.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Once you take it appart you'll see exactly where you need to notch the ceramic bracket. It really is pretty simple. This picture you can see the notch a little better. I used a bench mounted grinder and it took about 10 seconds but certainly a file will do the trick.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mikecorn.1

I used a Dremmel Tool make the notches.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Habanero Smoker

Mike;

Thanks for posting that picture. I'll added into the instructions. I don't know what happened to the one that was originally there.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Mr Walleye

Habs

It's the same photo as the first one showing the measurements but with out the measurements... If that made sense.  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

JZ

When I added the second element I didn't read the post thoroughly enough (the first 4 times)  ::)and missed the part about notching the ceramic and just ended up feeding the wire along the ceramic then out to the second element.

It's been that way for a long time so I guess it another way of doing it, but not the best. ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Mr Walleye on November 24, 2012, 03:06:05 PM
Habs

It's the same photo as the first one showing the measurements but with out the measurements... If that made sense.  :D

Mike

Ahhh! Now I see it, after enlarger the picture.

Thanks

I
         don't
                   inhale.

viper125

I wired separably just as easy and added the switch. Now able to shut either one off and still use the other in case one quits or dont want both running.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

frepar

I did the dual mod with the notch in the ceramic... and to be honest with you, i paid... i think $7 for a "diamond" dremel bit... it made suuuper short work of the ceramic...

however, one thing i'd like to address if you were looking a switch for element #2....  and are running a PID, i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm mistaken, but you will most likely have to auto tune your PID when you switch OFF the 2nd element and then auto tune it again when you switch ON the 2nd element...

Your swings will obviously be MUCH shorter with 500 extra watts... so be careful if you tune on a 1000w and then switch off #2 and smoke on 500w as if youre runnin 1000w... :) and vise versa..

GusRobin

Quote from: frepar on December 07, 2012, 11:58:44 AM
I did the dual mod with the notch in the ceramic... and to be honest with you, i paid... i think $7 for a "diamond" dremel bit... it made suuuper short work of the ceramic...

however, one thing i'd like to address if you were looking a switch for element #2....  and are running a PID, i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm mistaken, but you will most likely have to auto tune your PID when you switch OFF the 2nd element and then auto tune it again when you switch ON the 2nd element...

Your swings will obviously be MUCH shorter with 500 extra watts... so be careful if you tune on a 1000w and then switch off #2 and smoke on 500w as if youre runnin 1000w... :) and vise versa..
I have a switch on my second element but never switch it off when I smoke/cook.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Used a grinding stone on mine and had to keep leaning. Then switched to a Carbide and no problem. Well the only reason I put a switch on. Is 1. so I can turn off the bad element if one blows. 2. I also have my slider if the pid goes. 3. I dont need all that wattage for drying or smoking cheese.
I do keep my temps to 90-100 most times smoking cheese as it gets a better color for me. But 500 is enough to do it. And pid isn't exact but gets the job done with a little adjustment,
Also I do have a small length of the braided high temp wire I used. If any ones doing the short pig tails I could cut and send it to you if you like. Would of offered sooner but found it today!  ::) ::) Figure pig tailing it would just be a short length required. if you
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.