Pulled Raccoon

Started by wyogoob, November 23, 2012, 06:28:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wyogoob

New recipe for the ole Goob; Pulled Raccoon.  Man, this is a good one!  So good, I think you better be sittin' down when you read this post. 

First parboil a dressed raccoon according to the instructions in this thread:
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=30551.0

Parboiled coon:

Start up the smoker and load up a pan with some fruitwood sawdust.  While the smoker is warming up, partially shred the parboiled coon meat.  Add your favorite rub. Place the meat it in one of those aluminum foil pans that have holes in the bottom:

Fry some bacon or salt pork.  Save the grease and set aside.

Cover the coon meat with aluminum foil and place in the bottom shelf of the smoker.  Close the damper and apply heavy smoke for about 1 hour.  Leave some holes unobstructed in each corner of the aluminum pan to let the smoke in:

Remove the aluminum foil, add the bacon grease and some more rub.  Stir the meat and then smoke for another 30 minutes:

Remove the meat from the smoker and pull it, sprinkling on a little rub as you go.  Use Grampa Tim's Racoon Rub if you have it. :D   Add a little bacon grease or spray on some Amesphos™ if the meat is on the dry side:

Get out a here!
Life's been good to me so far.

Keymaster

Pass the Starnes Please :) Good lookin Sandwich, I just gotta keep thinkin pulled pork though ;)

ExpatCanadian

devo

OH man next time I see road kill I will be thinking of you  ::) :P

wyogoob

Quote from: devo on November 23, 2012, 09:59:22 AM
OH man next time I see road kill I will be thinking of you  ::) :P

Thanks, I'd like to have a nickel for everytime I heard that.
Life's been good to me so far.

mikecorn.1

Sammie looks great, just cant get over the coon part of it.  :o ;D
Mike

muebe

I would give it a try. I just could not prep it ;)
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

KyNola

I've eaten BBQ coon.  It's really good.

rooster85

Coon on the grill aint bad, maybe smoking it is better? How bout you do some pulled possum! Lol

Tenpoint5

Is the coon overly greasy? Every time I have had BBQ Coon it has always been greasy.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 28, 2012, 07:34:51 AM
Is the coon overly greasy? Every time I have had BBQ Coon it has always been greasy.
I've eaten BBQ coon and it wasn't greasy.  I'm thinking that parboiling it first like described in this thread would eliminate a lot of the fat.