Walkerswood Jerk Products

Started by OldHoss, November 24, 2012, 01:08:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldHoss

H.S put and idea in my head and I saw a fella on youtube the other day using Walkerswood in a recipie. Got all this today:

but in specific I got these........

I am using the Marinade and the Barbecue sauce to make chicken tommorrow.  In the future I will use the Seasoning and come back and add to this topic.

Here is what I am doing now.  Made a batch of my basic jerk rub with the following:

heavy on the Allspice.  Cut the chickens in half, removing the backs, cleaned, rinsed in cold water and padded dry with paper towels then rubbed the mix into each piece getting into all crevices:

This is lighter than I would do normally for a dry rub - and I would let the dry rub sit for 2 days before cooking.

The Walkerswood marinade added, rubbed into each piece then rolled in the bowl:

I will be cooking Festival Bread for dinner tommorrow as well.  These little dounut-like treats are served with jerk products often times in Jamaica.  I have used this Grace product before and found it quite good.  I do believe the ones in Jamaica have baking spice added to the mix.  My wife obtained some of this product when we were there this summer so I will be adding some of it in to see if I am correct.

The front of the package:

and the back:

These things are delicious and then some.  The plan is to use the Barbecue Sauce as a mop during cooking tommorrow.  I will probably use the mop on 3 of the 4 pieces to see the difference between "with" and "without".  My wife also does not like all sauces so I am doing this as a precautionairy measure as well.

This is the video I was watching where the fella mentions Walkerswood:

Jamaican Jerk Chicken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q64InPVlCA8&feature=related

If you have it - smoke it.

Habanero Smoker

This all looks good. I'm going to have to restock my cabinet very soon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

FLBentRider

They have Walkerswood products in our grocery stores here. Good stuff.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OldHoss

Ok - the chicken was in the fridge for about 20 hours.  I have taken it out and shaken most of the chunks from the marinade off - there was a fair bit of chicken juice and it was mixed up with the marinade chunks and it looked unappealing.  That which wants to stay on the bird has been left on.  I then lightly brushed both sides of the chicken with the Walkerswood Barbecue Sauce.  This is what she looks like:

I am doing another peameal bacon as the last one was not satisfying.  This type of back bacon is what I have been frying up for years - across a number of different brands.  This is what I am working with this time around:

notice how juicy it is in the package:

into a paper towel bundle to be pressed abit to lose some surface moisture:

and dusted and rubbed with paprika and the chipolte/mango mix - most of the dusting is the paprika:

All of it loaded up in the smoker with a pre-heated fire brick wrapped in foil on top and in the bottom:

It is snowing out and this is my first time smoking at the same time.  I am using 100% Hickory this time and am planning on going 3.2 hours on the smoke time.  I am setting the temp on the unit at 210f.

EDIT:

I just realized there is a Poulty section.  Too late now - plus I will be using the Walkerswood on some pork sooner than later so I suppose this is a multi-meat topic?   The smoker is making some great smells at this point, I have rotated the bottom racks, flipped all meat to expose tops to more smoke and.....I am wishing I had a few Cherry bisquettes at this point.  That is what makes the jerk complete.  I gotta get me some boxes - plural.  I won't be happy till I have a hundred or so Cherry pellets, plenty of backup.  I can source the Hickory a number of places easy.  Gonna have to do mailorder and suff up the postage I believe.

OldHoss

The chicken fresh from the smoker at an internal temp of around 150f:

I covered it, top and bottom in a thin layer of the Barbecue Sauce and into the oven at 440f to singe the skin and finish it off.  Taken out at 167f:

as juicy as this was I have made juicier jerked bird:

I brushed the back bacon with Tiger Sauce when I pulled the chicken.   The internal temp was about 130f at the time.......the back bacon pulled at 141f:

and sliced open at the time:

I put this in the fridge and have eaten it subsequently after putting a slight brown on it in a frying pan.  I had some with mustard today and it was very good.  I had some the wife used in eggs benedict and it was OUTSTANDING!!!  I have kept some of that hollandaise sauce so as to have some more of it tommorrow.  I may never eat smoked back bacon again any other way this tastes SO good.  The strong hickory smoke shines through in the rich dish.  If you eat eggs bendedict and smoke food then you gotta try this one.

As per the chicken?  I used 3.2 hours of Hickory smoke on the product....ate it fresh and now am eating it nuked out of the fridge....which ought to intensify the smoke.....and I am finding the product wanting.  I can make beef and pork in the unit that has good smoke but the bird has kind of eluded me.  I used the upper 3 racks during this smoke.  I am not sure if that played a role or not - got to try using the lowest rack ONLY and see what happens.  Also this was a "wet" chicken that went into the smoker so not sure if that played a role?  What I do know is that smoke is a huge part of the taste of jerk in my mind and it was sorely lacking here.  I am inclined to break out my propane grill and rig it up as a smoker to have me some good jerk.  I hate that I cannot achieve it with this Bradley.  It is so good at so much but why not with the chicken?

Habanero Smoker

The chicken looks good.

I'm glad the peameal bacon turned out alright. If you were not satisfied this time, I was about to suggest that you make your own peameal.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)