Bad Sausage Day

Started by JZ, November 25, 2012, 11:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Thanks Habs.

Kirby sent me a PM and suggested I check my scale and this may be the problem. I was having some issues weighing a small amount of spice and it could be that either my scale is not working right. I am going to check the scale and  the cure as you suggested yesterday.

Gonna take the dog for a walk then come back and try a few things to see if I can find the culprit.

JZ

I think I found the issue. ;D I checked the scale and it is reading fairly consistently at 5.1 to 5.3 g per level tsp. I think that difference is just the way I scrape off the tsp. I read the package the cure is in and it states to use 3g of cure per Kg. So for the 5.5 lb batch I made (5.5lbs/2.2kg/lb)=2.5 Kg I should have used 2.5 x 3 = 7.5g of cure and I only used 6.2g.

Do you think that would be enough of a difference to cause the results I experienced? I hope so. At least then I will know where the problem lies and I can correct it.

That would also explain why the weiners I made the same day with the same cure appear to be properly cured.  I checked my calculation notes for the weiner mix and see  that I used 6.7g of cure for the 5lb batch. Based on the cure package recommendations I should have used 6.8g but I guess the missing 0.1 g didn't affect the outcome for the weiners.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: JZ on November 26, 2012, 08:57:26 AM
I think I found the issue. ;D I checked the scale and it is reading fairly consistently at 5.1 to 5.3 g per level tsp. I think that difference is just the way I scrape off the tsp. I read the package the cure is in and it states to use 3g of cure per Kg. So for the 5.5 lb batch I made (5.5lbs/2.2kg/lb)=2.5 Kg I should have used 2.5 x 3 = 7.5g of cure and I only used 6.2g.

Do you think that would be enough of a difference to cause the results I experienced? I hope so. At least then I will know where the problem lies and I can correct it.

That would also explain why the weiners I made the same day with the same cure appear to be properly cured.  I checked my calculation notes for the weiner mix and see  that I used 6.7g of cure for the 5lb batch. Based on the cure package recommendations I should have used 6.8g but I guess the missing 0.1 g didn't affect the outcome for the weiners.

Glad to see you are zeroing in on the problem. This is the first time I have every seen anything like this, so I couldn't answer whether or not that amount of difference in cure would produced those results. Though if I calculated correctly the amount you used is around 20% less; then what is recommended by the manufacturer.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

I am convinced this is the issue, mainly because the weiners turned out fine, as far as the pink color goes (they were still rubbery and I haven't figured that out yet).

After my last post I checked the scale against another one I have that only reads to the nearest gram and both scales agreed on whatever I put on them within their respective accuracy limits. I also weighed some spice bags that stated the content weights and for 3 different bags I consistently got readings that were 5 to 6 grams over the stated content weights, which I attribute to the bag weight. Both scales again agreed on the weights. So I am now confident that the scales are accurate enough.

Next step was to check out the recipes in Charcuterie by Ruhlman who lists ingredients by both metric weight and imperial volumes. Here is a real surprise. Out of about 10 recipes that I checked the conversion he used for 1 tsp of cure to equivalent metric weight varied considerably anywhere from 3 to 7 grams. I attribute the 3 gram conversion to an error. The other conversions were from 5 to 7 grams, with 6 being the most common. I have learned something again and will use the manufacturers recommended weights from now on.

Thanks to all of you for helping me resolve this. Now I can go forward with more confidence, until the next screw up. ::)

JZ

OK I may have been too hasty on my last post. I just took the SS out of the fridge to toss it and the pink center is gone. The meat is all grey now, which suggests to me that I did not put any cure in it. :-[

So note to self: PUT CURE IN MEAT, PUT CURE IN MEAT, PUT CURE IN MEAT, PUT CURE IN MEAT. ;D

pikeman_95

The standard for the use of Pink cure# 1 sodium Nitrite is 4 OZ./ 100 pounds of meat. This works out at 5.67 grams for 5 pounds of meat. This is what my recipe is based off. Like Habs said it you have poorly stored or old cure it might not work properly. I do not know why a manufacturer would require more unless of the product they provide is less concentrated. :o

JZ

Thanks for sticking this out with me Kirby. I realize that you have probably made 1000's of lbs of sausage and as such you must have this down pat. So I checked out the cure info on the Wedliny Domowe website and under their extensive cure section they confirm what you have said and they provide this table, which conforms to the USDA maximum amounts for cure #1 usage.

Comminuted Meat (Sausages)    Cure #1 in ounces    Cure #1 in grams    Cure #1 in teaspoons
25 lbs.                                                             1                    28.35                           5
5 lbs.                                                             0.2                     5.66                          1
1 lb.                                                               0.04                   1.1                           1/5
1 kg                                                               0.08                    2.5                           1/2

The 5.66g of cure #1 for 5 lbs of meat is exactly what your recipe calls for.

I think this leads me to one of three conclusions for my problem. 1) I weighed the cure wrong (strongly doubt this) or 2) I left the cure out completely (most probable) or 3 ) my cure is no good or lost its strength. The cure is inexpensive so I will just get some more. That will eliminate this as a variable.

After checking the info on the Wedliny site I pulled my bag of "Prague Powder #1" out of the fridge to check some info. One thing I noted is that this stuff is not pink - just white, not that it likely matters. The ingredients are "salt, sodium nitrite (6.25%)." Double checked and it states "Usage: max 3g per kg product or 1/2 oz per 10-lb product." For some reason this supplier recommends a higher usage than the USDA (maybe its a Canadian thing? Who knows?). ???

Anyways I will now get new cure and use it in accordance with the USDA guidelines. This is definitely a learning process and eventually I will get better at this. At least this has given me a reason to get more informed and that should help me in the future. ;)

pikeman_95

I like the idea of getting new cure. I think Habs could chime in on the percentage of sodium nitrite that is supposed to be in the cure. I just use the stuff. I do not make anywhere near the variety that guys like Rick and some others make we just make much larger batches. We have made over 500# batches several times and most of the times around 200 pounds. I think our last batch was 280. It takes so much work that we like to get all done at once. I have a group of friends that gets together for a sausage weekend once or twice a year. I am looking forward to retirement where I can play with different sausages and learn form some of the more experienced guys on the forum. I have been saving recipes that have been shared at least the ones that look good and have a proven track record.
KC

Habanero Smoker

The percentage of sodium nitrite in Prague Powder #1 (6.25%) is consistent with the percentage in Cure #1. The pink coloring is a voluntary U.S. manufacturer's practice to prevent the home user from mistakenly using it as table salt.

Kirby;

I'm amaze by people like you who can make 200 - 500 pounds of sausage at a time. I have enough problems trying to get through a 10 pound batch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

QuoteI'm amaze by people like you who can make 200 - 500 pounds of sausage at a time. I have enough problems trying to get through a 10 pound batch.

I agree. It usually takes me 2 days to make a 10 lb batch. It seems to take forever to gather everything up then grind, weigh, figure spice weights (much nicer with Kirbys spreadsheet), measure spices then mix and clean up. That's day one. Day 2 - gather casings and stuffing materials, stuff, then dry, then into the smoker, then into the bath then, bloom and then another clean up.

I don't think doubling my 10 lb batch to 20 lbs would add much time to the process since most of the time is spent in preparation and clean up.

I recall reading a post by Mike (Mr Walleye) where him and a buddy (maybe more than one - can't remember) did like a 100 or 200 batch in FOUR hrs, including cleanup. I would like to see that operation.

Sailor

Quote from: JZ on November 26, 2012, 04:09:52 PM
OK I may have been too hasty on my last post. I just took the SS out of the fridge to toss it and the pink center is gone. The meat is all grey now, which suggests to me that I did not put any cure in it. :-[

So note to self: PUT CURE IN MEAT, PUT CURE IN MEAT, PUT CURE IN MEAT, PUT CURE IN MEAT. ;D

First thing I do is measure my water and then put the cure in and stir it up.  This is just habit and I know that I will have cure in the batch.  I have caught myself making fresh sausage and reaching for the cure and realize that I don't need cure.  If I am grinding the spices in with a second grind my cure has been put in the water.  Just sayin

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

pikeman_95

Quote from: JZ on November 27, 2012, 09:03:55 AM
QuoteI'm amaze by people like you who can make 200 - 500 pounds of sausage at a time. I have enough problems trying to get through a 10 pound batch.

I agree. It usually takes me 2 days to make a 10 lb batch. It seems to take forever to gather everything up then grind, weigh, figure spice weights (much nicer with Kirbys spreadsheet), measure spices then mix and clean up. That's day one. Day 2 - gather casings and stuffing materials, stuff, then dry, then into the smoker, then into the bath then, bloom and then another clean up.

I don't think doubling my 10 lb batch to 20 lbs would add much time to the process since most of the time is spent in preparation and clean up.

I recall reading a post by Mike (Mr Walleye) where him and a buddy (maybe more than one - can't remember) did like a 100 or 200 batch in FOUR hrs, including cleanup. I would like to see that operation.

Mike has one of my 30 pound stuffers. Those things really crank out the sausage. When we really get going I break out this 70 pound stuffer.

I make more crap out of this plastic.
Kirby

Old Frenchie

Quote from: JZ on November 26, 2012, 03:03:51 PM
Next step was to check out the recipes in Charcuterie by Ruhlman who lists ingredients by both metric weight and imperial volumes. Here is a real surprise. Out of about 10 recipes that I checked the conversion he used for 1 tsp of cure to equivalent metric weight varied considerably anywhere from 3 to 7 grams. I attribute the 3 gram conversion to an error. The other conversions were from 5 to 7 grams, with 6 being the most common. I have learned something again and will use the manufacturers recommended weights from now on.

I ordered this book recently. Having had problems with my hot dogs I checked this book for a new recipe. On page 164-165 the recipe calls for "1 tsp/7grams pink salt" for a 2.5 lb recipe !! That looks to me like it is TWICE the amount of pink salt needed. Seemed odd so I turned the page and looked at the next recipe (Hungarian Paprika Sausage) and it called for "1 tsp/3 grams pink salt" for a 4.5 lb recipe. The 1 tsp looks okay to me but if I was going by grams I think I might have gotten sick as that appears to me to be only half of what is needed !!

Am I wrong (although I'm a newbie I don't think I'm that new) or are these recipes simply dangerous for a newbie to use as written ???? I'm afraid to use ANY of the recipes in this book now. If the "critical" pink salt quantities are wrong what does this say of the reliability of the other ingredients listed?  I did not receive an errata sheet with the book and could not find one from a Google search. How realiable is this book? Is there anywhere that I can get an errata sheet for this book?
(sorry if I hijacked this post)
Thanks,
Roger
Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

JZ

Kirby,

That is one big bad boy you got there and I bet it devours the sausage. I watched one of your stuffer videos before and those things work great. Nice invention.

Old Frenchie,

I was very surprised to see the vast differences in the Charcuterie recipes with respect to the most important ingredient ........ the CURE. :o I agree this is bad and could cause someone some very serious illness or worse. This book has been in circulation for some time and this should have been corrected or at the very least an errata included with the book. So much for EXPERTS and their publishing team. :P

Silvergrizz

I just got that book a couple of weeks ago, had not noticed the discrepancies, just got my order of cure from the US end of last week. Guess I have to make a few pen and ink revisions eh? Thanks for the heads up. Last thing I need is to make somebody sick on my newfound hobby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk