Bad Sausage Day

Started by JZ, November 25, 2012, 11:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Old Frenchie;

What is the copy right date, and the edition of your book?

I'm looking at my copy of the book and for the hot dog recipe that is for 2 lbs, the recipe says 1/2 teaspoon (3 gram) of pink salt; which is accurate. He is wrong with his weight conversion for Hungarian Paprika Sausage. The weight for the Hungarian Paprika Sausage should be 5.66 grams or 6 grams.

I knew a few of his recipes were a little liberal in his conversions, but for the Hungarian Paprika Sausage he is just plain wrong.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

JZ

I just checked my copy and on pg 164 - 165 the hot dog ingredients for a 2.5 lb batch call for 1tsp/7g pink salt. This is apparently a first edition and the copyright date is 2005.

I only purchased this book a few months ago and as such would have thought that I would get the latest edition. Is there a later one? 

devo

He makes all kinds of mistakes in his books. Thats why he is a chef and not a sausage maker who shouldn't be writing books.
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/138708-list-of-errors-in-charcuterie-by-m-ruhlman/

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: JZ on November 28, 2012, 09:31:26 AM
I just checked my copy and on pg 164 - 165 the hot dog ingredients for a 2.5 lb batch call for 1tsp/7g pink salt. This is apparently a first edition and the copyright date is 2005.

I only purchased this book a few months ago and as such would have thought that I would get the latest edition. Is there a later one?

Mine is copyrighted 2005, First Edition; and for the hot dogs it calls for 2 lb. 1/2 tsp/3g pink salt. So there must have been a revision at some point, and it looks like for the worst.

Devo;
Thanks for the link. I believed you posted it sometime ago and I misplaced it. You would think Ruhlman is a chef, but his profession is a food writer. While doing research at the Culinary Institute of American, he developed a passion for Charcuterie.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JZ

QuoteMine is copyrighted 2005, First Edition; and for the hot dogs it calls for 2 lb. 1/2 tsp/3g pink salt. So there must have been a revision at some point, and it looks like for the worst.

So there are 2 first editions with 2005 copyright dates that are different. :o What's up with that?

Hey Don I checked out the link you provided and one thing I noted was that "Marlene" who seemed to be involved in the publishing part of the book noted that during the proofing they received drafts, made corrections on the drafts then the next draft they received still did not have the corrections made. I can relate to this as our office used to have a CAD operator that would do similar things. Give him corrections and they were made (sometimes) then give him some more changes and the next draft you get back had the original errors but the latest corrections made. He somehow kept mixing up computer files. Almost impossible to deal with. He got fired.

Old Frenchie

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 28, 2012, 02:05:36 AM
Old Frenchie;

What is the copy right date, and the edition of your book?

I'm looking at my copy of the book and for the hot dog recipe that is for 2 lbs, the recipe says 1/2 teaspoon (3 gram) of pink salt; which is accurate. He is wrong with his weight conversion for Hungarian Paprika Sausage. The weight for the Hungarian Paprika Sausage should be 5.66 grams or 6 grams.

I knew a few of his recipes were a little liberal in his conversions, but for the Hungarian Paprika Sausage he is just plain wrong.

Hab --- Mine is the same as JZ ... Copyrighted 2005  ... and the hot dog recipe is for 2.5 lbs.  I just bought this book from Amazon

Devo --- Thanks for the link ... I bought this book based on a high recommendation from someone on another forum  ... wish I had seen the link you posted first ... I would have bought something else. Without a reliable errata sheet I'm thinking the only way to use his recipes would be to post them on a forum like this first and ask for feedback from experienced folks that have tried the recipe with success.

Thanks everyone ... glad to know I'm not going insane   ;D

Original 4-Rack Bradley Electric Smoker
Brinkman Electric Smoker
Weston 3/4hp Grinder (575 watts)
Grizzly 5lb Vertical Stuffer
1st sausage made: April 2012

KyNola

Let's be very careful with this conversation.  I read the entire link that has been posted and for the most part it was folks debating the merits of the book and preserved lemons.  Granted, apparently the book has a couple of errors in it.  It is still a great reference book and I have seen lots of folks much more experienced than me on this forum swearing by and quoting from the book.  Who am I to argue with them? 

Bradley Smoker sells this book.  That's good enought for me.

JZ

Hey Larry, I don't think this discussion is something to be concerned about. ;) In fact I think it is something that members should be aware of. I didn't read all of the link that Don posted but enough to see the comment that Marlene made (which I commented on above). That led me to believe there was an author / publisher communication issue. I agree that most of the comments were more of complaints about the taste of a particular sausage but that is not an error, just a taste preference and not a health issue.

However when there are errors relating to the amount of cure used (1/2 or double the USDA recommended amounts) in a recipe, that is a health issue and I think our members should be aware of them, especially since the author and / or publisher have not seen fit to make book purchasers aware of these errors. I for one am glad this has been pointed out by our members and I have made notes in my copy of the book to make sure I do not use the wrong amounts of cure, if I use those recipes.

There are a lot of us newbie sausage makers on this forum and we rely on these books and follow their recipes to the letter, because we are newbies. So I think it is very important for us to be aware of these errors, so we can make the appropriate corrections and avoid potential risk to the health of our families.

Habanero Smoker

I agree with you JZ. If there are errors they should be pointed out, especially where there may be safety concerns so that others may be aware of them. Although I still believe it is a good book, especially for those that never would have delved into Charcuterie. Almost all of the errors  are with the recipe amounts (especially sodium nitrite), and they appear to be typos, that should have been caught prior to publication. The rest of the information in the book, seem fundamentally sound. 

On the other forum, some of the most critical statements are from jmolinari who has This Blog. He appears to be a little bias, but does make some strong points. The way I read the thread, it has a few comments about the merits of Bread and Butter pickles or Lemon Confit etc, but a great deal of the conversations had concerns on food safety and the use of nitrites/nitrates.

On the second page FoodMan sums up the errors reported, and you will notice none of the errors in this thread are listed on the other forum. I haven't used any of the recipes that have errors listed, but before I use any of the recipes in this book, I'm going to double check the math. As stated on the other forum most of the recipes are Brian Polcyn, who developed these recipes for his restaurant. Probably when the recipes were scaled down, the errors occurred, but like I said earlier, that should have been caught.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Silvergrizz

I have been following this with great interest, as I just purchased this book from Amazon last month. Are we going to create a list of errors for us newbies to make corrections from?, then maybe place it as a sticky at the start of one of the forums? I read the thread on the other site, I just did the lemon confit last week, no liquid in the glass container, did use almost double the salt for less lemon though. There was confusion on that site to me trying to compare the lemon confit to "preserved lemons", not the same thing in my mind. My copy is also dated 2005, but not sure if it might be a later reprint

Grizz

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JZ

Habs, I went to the blog and couldn't find the thread you were referring to, or the "Foodman" error list. I must be blind. :)

Tenpoint5

So what is this "Other Forum"?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: JZ on November 29, 2012, 09:02:53 AM
Habs, I went to the blog and couldn't find the thread you were referring to, or the "Foodman" error list. I must be blind. :)

The information is not on jmolinari blog, I just included his blog to indicate his credentials. Its on the Egullet Forum

Tenpoint5;
The other forum is the link Devo posted:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?/topic/138708-list-of-errors-in-charcuterie-by-m-ruhlman/

I
         don't
                   inhale.

JZ

QuoteQuote from: JZ on Today at 09:02:53 am

The information is not on jmolinari blog, I just included his blog to indicate his credentials. Its on the Egullet Forum

Tenpoint5;
The other forum is the link Devo posted:

Thanks.... it all makes sense now. ;)

KyNola

My point to saying be careful with this conversation is in the weblink that is now the topic of this conversation, it is disclosed that a lot of the recipes are not Ruhlman's recipes at all.  They are Polcyn's.  To point the finger solely at Ruhlman is simply wrong.  I've seen personal recipes posted on this forum that were blatantly wrong and never corrected.  Thanks to the internet those recipes are as likely to wind up in the same number of hands as the recipes in Polcyn's and Ruhlman's book.

What other forum?