Bad Sausage Day

Started by JZ, November 25, 2012, 11:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JZ

Does you copy also state it is a First Edition? I also note that your ISBN numbers are different than mine and you have 2 listed where I only have one.

This suggests there are 3 versions of the "First Edition", maybe more? I think I will send an email to the publisher in New York to see if they will tell me how to identify the First Edition, how many revisions there have been and how to identify the subsequent editions and their sequence.

Couldn't find an email address on their website so I sent a fax request for the above info.

squirtthecat

Quote from: JZ on December 02, 2012, 09:24:04 AM
Does you copy also state it is a First Edition? I also note that your ISBN numbers are different than mine and you have 2 listed where I only have one.

Yep.  "First Edition"

KyNola

This is my personal suggestion and not that of a member of the Moderation Team.  If you are going to go through with posting a "corrections" thread may I suggest you do it over on the recipe website that is owned by Oldman where Habs is the Admin.  When the need arises you can refer folks to that website for the correction thread.

On page 76 of the book is an artist rendering of the Bradley Smoker and the authors endorsing it.  I don't think it will look very good for a Bradley owned website to have corrections to the book on the website, particularly when the book can be purchased from Bradley.  I'm still not convinced that there is not a potential for liability either.

It is also fair and right for me to tell you that the Moderation team is discussing this with Brian at the Bradley Home Office.  No position has been reached as of yet.

Thanks for your consideration.

JZ

Fair enough. :)

I have done my review and forwarded questions / comments to Habs.

I will not post any details here regarding this issue without the moderators consent.

Habanero Smoker

KyNola;

As you can see from one of my previous post, I have no intentions of posting in on this site. And yes I am now working on placing it on the Recipe Site.

Thanks for your input.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KyNola

You're welcome.  I must have missed your post where you said you had no intention of posting the correction thread on the forum.  Given that to be the case I had no reason to have any input and I'll be more than happy to delete my comments if you think it warranted.

Tenpoint5

Looking at the info you all have a first edition but
JZ has a 15th printing
Habs has a 4th
I have a 7th
And Squirt has a 10th
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JZ

Well that sure changes things.

After your comments I did some surfing and found that "First Edition" means different things to different people.To Collectors it means the first printing of a book and to a Publisher it can include subsequent printings as long as there are not substantial additions, deletions or alterations to the contents.

Habs has already informed me that his copy does not include a recipe that is in mine and some of the ingredients in his copy are different than mine, for the same recipe. It seems this whole exercise may be futile, if there are at least 15 printings and they all could be different.

That would explain why it hasn't been done before.

squirtthecat

Awrighten!

Let's end this and move on.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 03, 2012, 03:52:42 PM
Looking at the info you all have a first edition but
JZ has a 15th printing
Habs has a 4th
I have a 7th
And Squirt has a 10th

I'm just curious. How can you tell the different printing.

KyNola;
Take a look it is there. I don't see a reason for you to delete the last post you made.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Hans the. row of numbers on the bottom of the page is called the the print code. The first number is the current printing. I got wrote up one time for not catching a wrong print code. So that's the first thing I look at in a book
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 04, 2012, 06:31:04 AM
Hans the. row of numbers on the bottom of the page is called the the print code. The first number is the current printing. I got wrote up one time for not catching a wrong print code. So that's the first thing I look at in a book

You best be 100% sure

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 04, 2012, 06:31:04 AM

That's interesting. Thanks for the explaination.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

devo

Hab's here is something else you might want to add to your list.

Michael Ruhlman book "Salumi"

Writing about guanciale (on p. 88), they say "You can use sodium nitrite here if you wish, for a more bacony, pancetta-like flavor, using 0.25% of the weight of the meat . . . about 1/4 ounce for 5 pounds, or 6 grams for 2 kilograms of meat."  This error is repeated on p. 68, in their introduction to dry-curing, where they say, "We believe . . . 0.25% sodium nitrate relative to the weight of the meat to be ideal." 

If you follow this advice and add 0.25% sodium nitrate or nitrite relative to the weight of the meat, you will be adding 16 TIMES MORE THAN THE USDA ALLOWS AND APPROACHING LEVELS THAT ARE TOXIC.  (As the authors note on p 63, 7.1 grams is the toxicity level for a person weighing 100 kilos.)  Anyone familiar with the curing salts readily available in the States will understand that they are referring instead to pre-mixed cures, cure #2 (which contains 5.67% sodium nitrite and 3.63% sodium nitrate) and cure #1 (which contains 6.25% sodium nitrite or 1/16 exactly) respectively.  But for a novice who takes them at their word and makes nitrates/nitrites 0.25% of the mix, this could be a fatal mistake.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the information. But for now I just want to concentrate on the errors in Charcuterie. I feel that is important, because it is an entry level book for a great deal of people. Most beginners will be referring to that book; possible for the first time they have made sausage or cured any meats.

It seems that he is giving the amount to use for cure #1 or pink salt. If he is referring to pure sodium nitrite, then those measurement are toxic. If I had the book I would post a comment on his blog.

I
         don't
                   inhale.