Horizonal cold smoke.

Started by viper125, November 27, 2012, 03:36:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

Wondering if any of the members who have set up a cold smoker has ever tried setting the smoker and hose level with the entry of smoker. I see every one seems to sit it below,probably because smoke rises I assume.  But with my system and the chimney I'm thinking maybe the draft would be enough to pull the smoke through. Just thinking some one may have tried and can save me some work.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Salmonsmoker

Viper, I'd give it a try and see what happens. You may have to start the draft by putting a little heat in the cabinet first so you get enough convection to draw the smoke horizontally at start-up. A little computer case fan would work. You could set it right in front of the smoker cabinet inlet and draw the smoke in from the source until you've got enough convection to vent on it's own..
Give a man a beer and he'll waste a day.
Teach him how to brew and he'll waste a lifetime.

viper125

Well I already did the fan mod, and I have a out side vented chimney. So hoping that would be enough. Really don't want more fan as it would suck out smoke quicker. For cheese or any thing really i'll keep oven at 70-100 degrees as always. Really need that for the color as i find its the heat more then the smoke that colors.
Im getting prepared to set it up and prefer it on top the counter instead of below. Really don't want a large hole in the counter or a pipe coming out around. Bought every thing a bout a year ago and just keep smoking. Been really lazy and content with my set up. Bought 8 extra racks and the material for the shelves and its still laying there Also as I found with jerky turning them up side down works great. But will probably add them too as now I need to figure a fix for my doors lower hinge.I did have some risers and used all 12 racks too but the side shelves would be nicer. Hopefully get it done this winter. LOL!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.