Half a cow and pig???

Started by RedJada, December 15, 2012, 01:49:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

Looking at buying a side of each. On the beef, I'm looking at t-bone, porter house, sirloin steak, sirloin tip roast, round & rump roast, rib steak, chuck roast, short ribs, stew meat and and ground. Here I have my choice of cuts, thickness and weight, pretty easy.
On the half pig is where I'm getting stumped. I'm looking at ham, bacon, loin, shoulder, ribs and sausage. All with the option of smoked, fresh, half, sliced, chops, steaks, etc. On the pig side, I would like to try making my own ham and bacon from fresh.
Looking for suggestions here. Never done this before so wondering if there is anything I should be asking or looking for?

Skishy

That list looks pretty complete to me. Though I'm interested to read the replies. So as soon as I have enough freezer space I want to do half a hog. Maybe even half a cow if a buddy of mine wants to go in on it with me. I will definitely use this as a reference.
"Hail to the King, baby!" - Bruce Campbell

2 - 4 rack OBS
1 - Brinkmann Pellet Smoker
1 - Masterbuilt Charcoal smoker

viper125

All sounds great. But let someone else cure, make or smoke your meat??? Butts , fresh ham, loin,  shanks lol. Sounds better to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

You should look at some beef and pig chart to familiarize yourself with each cut. Also learn the terminology of your area. Depending on your geographical area, a name of a cut can mean something different depending on where you live. It may be better to take the chart with you as you explain how you want your half butchered. Also listen to any suggestions the butcher may have.

Here are some handy Meat Charts

Make sure where you are buying your meat from the people know how to slaughter, or had it done by a professional slaughter house. If the meat is not properly slaughter, it will ruin the taste of the meat.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RedJada

Quote from: viper125 on December 15, 2012, 08:28:38 PM
All sounds great. But let someone else cure, make or smoke your meat??? Butts , fresh ham, loin,  shanks lol. Sounds better to me.

Sounds like a good idea viper,Ill drop off a ham or butt in a couple weeks, LOL.

Thanks for the charts Hab, cleared up a few questions. I have some order forms to fill out. I plan on having the butcher walk me threw anything I don't understand.
I plan on getting this from a place called Dumas Meats. They are a 3rd or 4th generation meat market. I believe viper knows this place. They can do all the curing/smoking I want as well.

Funny thing, when we were there yesterday, all the cows were lining up at the back door. :o

beefmann

get a big freezer to hold all that  meat, and you  are on the track for what you  want to make ... all good ideas having made some my self.

here is the link to the recipe site take a look around

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Alanfromwis

For what it's worth, we used to by meat that way too. However one time we weighed all the meat we received and it was quite a bit less than we paid for. We asked the meat market about that, and they said that they charged the same  weight the slaughter house charged them. There is apparently some weight loss from hanging. I'm no expert on this, but I would ask them about it. As a further comment, my wife's uncle was a long time meat cutter for a grocery chain, and he advised us to buy meats when you see certain cuts on sale. Just passing along my experience on this.
alanfromwis
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

RedJada

Quote from: beefmann on December 16, 2012, 06:44:25 AM
get a big freezer to hold all that  meat, and you  are on the track for what you  want to make ... all good ideas having made some my self.

here is the link to the recipe site take a look around

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?180-Our-Time-Tested-and-Proven-Recipes

Thanks beefmann, been looking around here and the susanminor site getting some good ideas. I do have a 17 cubic ft. upright freezer. So between that and my side by side. I hope I have the room. Looking at about 350lbs in total weight. If it don't all fit, I guess Ill be having a cook out and you all will be invited. ;D ;D ;D. Or I will have a slightly used freezer for sale in a couple months....

Alan, thanks for the tips. I don't think this place will do my like that with the weight. They do not out source the butcher posses. They raise their own beef and posses as well. Here is a link to their site. http://www.dumameatsfarmmarket.com/

Getting hungry now, time to look at the thick cut pork loin chops on the fridge.

wyrman

I butcher two hogs each year to put in our freezer and I get boneless chops and baby backs.
Country style ribs are good also, not to mention the tenderloin.

viper125

Quote from: Alanfromwis on December 16, 2012, 07:57:29 AM
For what it's worth, we used to by meat that way too. However one time we weighed all the meat we received and it was quite a bit less than we paid for. We asked the meat market about that, and they said that they charged the same  weight the slaughter house charged them. There is apparently some weight loss from hanging. I'm no expert on this, but I would ask them about it. As a further comment, my wife's uncle was a long time meat cutter for a grocery chain, and he advised us to buy meats when you see certain cuts on sale. Just passing along my experience on this.
alanfromwis

Well cut a lot of meat growing up. We butchered hog,cows, sheep and deer. Worked for A&P for quite a while as a meat cutter at their ware house. We was cutting 21-30 semi's daily. And would never recommend buying any store bought over fresh butchered. Unless all your looking for is the price. There is good reasons certain meats get knocked down or on sale. And none of them is to give you a good deal.
I told you before I us  to smoke as a young man. But I quit for a while. Now i'll tell you why. I had always helped butcher and was hired because of it. And A&P at that time was the #1 quality meat according to every one. But soon after starting I thought if this is #1 Id hate to see #2 or more.. Ive seen them scrub meat were the truck coolers shut down and meat had soured. Funny backing soda and water makes it look great again. I'll spare you the rest. But I quit eating any meat for quite a few years.
Nope i'll buy my meat fresh over store any time. Buy mine mostly from an italian place that butchers their own. Pick up in store or farm and nothing to hide! ;)
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

RedJada

I agree 100% viper, when you buy store bought meat. That's not blood in the bottom of the package. Its mostly dies and water, and who knows what else. Store bought meat has been threw a long travel proses. You just don't know when is was originally butchered and/or whats been done to it to keep it looking good. Not saying store bought meat is bad for you. I just prefer to get something fresh and home grown.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: RedJada on December 16, 2012, 04:50:17 AM
Funny thing, when we were there yesterday, all the cows were lining up at the back door. :o

That's what I like to see and hear about. Compliant, happy cows make good eats.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

GusRobin

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 16, 2012, 01:14:33 PM

That's what I like to see and hear about. Compliant, happy cows make good eats.  ;D
If they are lining up to the back door of the butcher shop , 'suicidal' would seem to fit better. ;D
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

RedJada

Quote from: GusRobin on December 16, 2012, 01:34:19 PM

If they are lining up to the back door of the butcher shop , 'suicidal' would seem to fit better. ;D
I don't think they were 'suicidal'. I think they were just trying to figure out what happen to Chuck, he went in....

standles

Quote from: RedJada on December 16, 2012, 02:30:36 PM
Quote from: GusRobin on December 16, 2012, 01:34:19 PM

I don't think they were 'suicidal'. I think they were just trying to figure out what happen to Chuck, he went in....

Chuck?  Chuck?  Will will AVENGE YOU!!!!!!