Turkey Position?? -- now with pics

Started by irish_smoker, November 20, 2012, 09:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish_smoker

Any thoughts on whether it is better to do a turkey in the Bradley standing upright (like beer-can chicken) or laying on it's belly?

I did a couple turkey breasts last week and had great results with them just resting normally on the belly side, but thought I'd ask opinions when doing the whole bird.

Thanks.

viper125

I mostly try to hang neck up. This way the extra grease runs out into a pan below it. If not it will lay in a pool inside which i dont like.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

I like to lay the turkey flat, because I like to rotate the rack around half way through the cooking time. I feel that cooking vertically, the turkey cooks faster. Maybe it is because the heat has direct flow into the cavity. When the turkey is vertical it is harder for me to rotate it. If you do it vertically double up the racks.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

viper125

I usually hang mine vertical from string Habs. Lay a stick across the vent and tie to it. I put it so the butt touches a rack enough it dont rotate. then if I turn it it stays there.
Inside setup.

irish_smoker

Thanks guys, I will probably just lay her on the belly and then put a tray of bacon above after the smoke is done.

I've got 3 pastrami's finishing up this afternoon for a paintball outing on Friday....putting the Bradley through a workout.

Thanks for the advice.

irish_smoker

Here are a couple pics I took during the process.  The first one is after about 6 hours in the smoker, I added a tray of bacon above the bird to drip down and keep it moist.  And the other pic is of the finished product just before I started slicing.

NePaSmoKer

But in the other post you have your turkey on the rack  ???

irish_smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 27, 2012, 11:02:09 AM
But in the other post you have your turkey on the rack  ???

??? Not sure I understand what you're asking.  It was on the rack in the smoker (as you can see in the first pic with the bacon above) and then I moved it to a cutting board for dismembering (the red thing it's on in the 2nd pic)

NePaSmoKer

Sorry
Meant for vipers reply

viper125

Well after reading I decided to try that way. I have done it both ways. But since I was removing it with just a couple hours of smoke. Figured It wouldn't cause a problem. And it worked fine. But I like to hang when smoking and finishing as it seems the turkey is cooked more even and no greasy deposits. I try not to get stuck in one position. Least till I try some thing my self.
Your Turkey looks Delicious. Will try the Bacon idea in the summer. But wife likes more conventional for Thanksgiving!
Inside setup.

irish_smoker

I know what you mean about the greasy deposits now....I tipped her over when I added the bacon tray to drain some out, but it sure does pool up in there.  Gonna try hanging it next time....

viper125

Yes it does. But figured it wouldn't just smoking.  I just smoked mine basically but didn't want to let it set cold either. Smoking at a hotter temperature caused the meat to start rising,but not hot enough to get any build up of grease. So it was only around 120 when placed in oven. But at 120 it climbed pretty fast in there and so i wasn't worried about the meat being safe. We usually cok a lot longer as we prefer it falling off the bone. But it was close and we ran out of time. But very good. Will definitely do it again.
I love the color of your bird. Mine was about the same. But when I fully do it in the smoker I will still hang to avoid all the extra grease. Bet that bacon tasted great on that turkey!
Inside setup.

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712