Butterflied Turkey?

Started by zimted393, December 01, 2012, 05:27:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zimted393

Was a friends for Thanksgiving and we smoked a 16lb turkey.  We brined it with a basic salt/pepper brine for about 12 hours, then just water for about 12 hours.  Then we used EVOO underneath and on top of the skin with a simple rub of Salt, Pepper, Garlic and Sage. 

We used his Weber grill, with charcoal and applewood on indirect heat.  To make it easier to fit in the grill, we butterflied the turkey and detached the legs/thighs. 

Took about 4.5 -5 hours.  We kept the temp about 325-330. 

Prep was based on directions from a site called:  www.amazingribs.com

Came out beautiful, tasted great...even had those that don't really like turkey getting seconds...

So, couple of questions...

When done in my Bradley, should similar process be ok? minus the charcoal of course
What about using cherry wood instead of apple?  Mequite? Pecan? others?
What about Jan's rub?

Any other thoughts?

Ka Honu

Of course you can smoke a spatchcocked, butterflied, or halved turkey in your Bradley but it will be slightly different from the grill-smoked version - mostly because you'll be cooking at a lower temperature and the skin won't end up crisp.  Many people smoke the bird for 2-3 hours and then finish on a grill, fryer, IR cooker, or oven to crisp it up.

Almost any light or medium wood works for turkey.  I usually stay away from hickory and mesquite for poultry but that's just my preference.

Jan's rub is always a good choice.

smoker pete

Hickory, Pecan, Cherry would all work great.  I personally would not use Mesquite on poultry.  Actually I don't like using Mesquite on anything but then that's just me.

Jan's Dry Rub will give you wonderful scrumptious results!  Have and do use it on Turkey and Chickens all the time.  I always rub EVOO and spices on/under the skin with fabulous results.

Your process of butterflying the turkey and detaching the legs/thighs is a good approach for larger turkeys.  Items will cook quicker.

The big issue will be the temperature.  Vent fully OPEN and 250ºF if you can get your Bradley that high and keep it that high.  Keep the door closed.  I would apply smoke for 2 to 4 hours at 250º and then just let it finish or transfer the turkey parts to your Weber grill, oven, SRG, or Pellet grill.  It's hard to beat the smoke flavors infused by the Bradley but unless you have no other options there's nothing wrong with moving the turkey elsewhere to finish.

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl