120 count bisquettes discontinued?

Started by Smorker, December 01, 2012, 10:08:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNRockyraccoon

Quote from: DryCreek on February 23, 2014, 05:41:09 PM

On the bright side, Peterson Pucks offers free shipping if you order five bags or more, and they have all flavors and all sizes in stock

Do these work in the Bradley? Well, in the Bradley smoke generator?

dubob

Quote from: TNRockyraccoon on February 23, 2014, 06:40:47 PMDo these work in the Bradley? Well, in the Bradley smoke generator?
No!  They do not.  They are larger in diameter by about 1/8 inch and must be placed directly on the puck burner.  Google 'Peterson Pucks', go to the PP website and watch the video on how they are used.

To me, that kind of defeats the advantage of setting my Auberins/Bradley up so I can set once and forget about it until the system shuts itself off.  Having to be there to manually replenish the pucks is a bummer.

They will work in a Bradley but require more attention.  I think they are probably better suited to other smoker brands like the Chief models or maybe a Masterbuilt.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 77 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men don't ask permission to bear arms." ― Glen Aldrich
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

renoman

If they last over 20 minutes what difference does it make. The Bradley generator will just kick them into the bowl.

Saber 4

Quote from: renoman on February 24, 2014, 04:55:14 PM
If they last over 20 minutes what difference does it make. The Bradley generator will just kick them into the bowl.

I think the point is that they don't fit in the feed tube so the SG can't push them into the water bowl, If I remember what I looked up before you have to make a pyramid stack of them on the SG.

dubob

Quote from: renoman on February 24, 2014, 04:55:14 PMThe Bradley generator will just kick them into the bowl.
No; it will not.  They will NOT fit in the SG stack tube.  They have to be manually placed on the heating element and the ash or remaining portion of the puck has to be manually removed.  And THAT is the main reason I won't be using them in my setup.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." ― Dr. Seuss

DryCreek

No, the Peterson Pucks do not feed through the smoke generator assembly.  And yes, it is more work to stack four on the tray and have to wipe the ash away in two hours and maybe add one or two more.

But, they ARE AVAILABLE when I want to order them - in any quantity.  And, they work out to be about half the cost of the Bradley product.  I don't own stock in Peterson, nor am I a salesman for them.  I just look to get the most product for my money when I pry open my wallet.  While most of you are able to shop around from place to place, I live out in the sticks and we go to town only once a week.  In that trip we have to buy feed and other ranch supplies, office supplies for my wife's home business and our groceries.  They have built a new Cabela's Outpost in Waco, and I have looked there.  They are higher than most online places by 10 to 20%.  No where else stocks them where we go, so I am left to order them online.  The 120 packs bring the per bisquette price down to a reasonable range.  The 24's definitely do not, and the 48 packs price per unit are tolerable.

While most of you have figured out your cost per hour of smoking, and have a budget that allows purchase of the smaller packs, I have a slightly different circumstance.  My Bradley Original Smoker was a Christmas gift to me from my son.  He works in the kitchen of a high-end western hunting resort and they have been using a six-rack model for years.  He thought that it would great for the 'set it and forget it" feature.  I should also mention that I have an offset smoker (That I love) and I live in the middle of lots of white oak.  My son also has very large mature pecan trees in his yard, and they frequently need to be trimmed.  I have more free wood here than I could burn through if I fired up my smoker every day.  So, being used to wood that costs little more than chain saw time and gathering, and then being faced with a cost of up to $3 an hour for smoke, I am conflicted........

Saber 4

Quote from: DryCreek on February 27, 2014, 05:47:52 AM
No, the Peterson Pucks do not feed through the smoke generator assembly.  And yes, it is more work to stack four on the tray and have to wipe the ash away in two hours and maybe add one or two more.

But, they ARE AVAILABLE when I want to order them - in any quantity.  And, they work out to be about half the cost of the Bradley product.  I don't own stock in Peterson, nor am I a salesman for them.  I just look to get the most product for my money when I pry open my wallet.  While most of you are able to shop around from place to place, I live out in the sticks and we go to town only once a week.  In that trip we have to buy feed and other ranch supplies, office supplies for my wife's home business and our groceries.  They have built a new Cabela's Outpost in Waco, and I have looked there.  They are higher than most online places by 10 to 20%.  No where else stocks them where we go, so I am left to order them online.  The 120 packs bring the per bisquette price down to a reasonable range.  The 24's definitely do not, and the 48 packs price per unit are tolerable.

While most of you have figured out your cost per hour of smoking, and have a budget that allows purchase of the smaller packs, I have a slightly different circumstance.  My Bradley Original Smoker was a Christmas gift to me from my son.  He works in the kitchen of a high-end western hunting resort and they have been using a six-rack model for years.  He thought that it would great for the 'set it and forget it" feature.  I should also mention that I have an offset smoker (That I love) and I live in the middle of lots of white oak.  My son also has very large mature pecan trees in his yard, and they frequently need to be trimmed.  I have more free wood here than I could burn through if I fired up my smoker every day.  So, being used to wood that costs little more than chain saw time and gathering, and then being faced with a cost of up to $3 an hour for smoke, I am conflicted........

With the local Cabela's store, all you need to do is watch the cabela's website for when the pucks go on sale, then grab someone in the store and tell them the sale price and they will give you a paper to take to the cash register so you get the internet sale price. the 48 packs on sale end up costing me about 90 cents an hour to smoke and since I never smoke over 3-4 hours it's not that much more than gas and oil for the chain saw with the price of gas today. Hope that helps you out. :)

dubob

Drycreek,

I can sympathize with your situation 100%.  For me, convenience trumps cost.  I've never computed or thought about cost per smoke and hope I never have to.  But I am cost conscious enough to know that it is always better to keep your costs under control to the best of your abilities and life style choices.  And it sounds like the Peterson Pucks will suit you just fine.
Bob Hicks, from Utah