bacon wrapped chicken cordon bleu

Started by RedJada, December 03, 2012, 02:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

Thinking about doing this this weekend. Did some searching here and saw one by ou812. I liked the way he wrapped his cheese in the ham so it didn't melt out. I never brined my chicken before so I may skip this step. Planing on seasoning the chicken, wrapping some smoked Swiss (I bought) in some ham then wrapping/lacing with bacon. Smoke for around 2 hours then cook for another 1-1.5. Any tips or suggestions?

Tenpoint5

Yep don't skip the brine step. You will really enjoy the difference in the yardbird.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Ka Honu

Although the bacon will certainly help, chicken breasts can dry out pretty easily so reconsider the brining.  Doesn't take that long and pays off.

devo

Yup what they said and it also makes it safer to smoke poultry at the lower temps of the bradely smoker. Cook to IT of 165°F

iceman

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 03, 2012, 04:22:07 PM
Although the bacon will certainly help, chicken breasts can dry out pretty easily so reconsider the brining.  Doesn't take that long and pays off.

Yeppers, what the turtle said. Don't skip the brining part. Trust me on this one. Took a short cut and ended up feeding the pups most of it!!  :o

Bear1968

My favorite all time Bradley video ... it is almost hypnotic!  :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8rai_ArR5M
UBC Local 268

RedJada

Survey says? Brine  :P. Never done any kind of chicken in a smoker. Usually the oven or grill. So off to look for brine solutions....
Thanks for the tips everyone.

RedJada

Quote from: RedJada on December 04, 2012, 03:18:19 PM
Survey says? Brine  :P. Never done any kind of chicken in a smoker. Usually the oven or grill. So off to look for brine solutions....
Thanks for the tips everyone.

Tried searching here for brine but came up empty handed. Can anyone point the to some kind of ratio of salt to water?

Ka Honu

Simplest basic brine proportions are:
     1 gallon water
     1/2 cup kosher salt (or 1/4 cup table salt)
     2/3 cup light brown sugar

RedJada

Have some cheese to pull in a few minutes. I have the cordon blue all ready to go next. I did the brine as suggested. My first attempt at this. Took OU812's idea of wrapping the cheese in the ham so it don't leak out. So here's what I got. Brine boneless chicken breast flatten out, store bought smoked Swiss wrapped in store bought honey ham, all wrapped in bacon. Thinking 2 hours smoke at 225 then finish in the oven. So here goes nothing.

OU812

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

One of my favoroites you got going there, Sizzler steak house serves it up with a nice mustard sauce.

viper125

My wife's favorite! And a real crowd pleaser. Brine is always a great thing for poultry. Looking great as usual!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

Are they done yet Are they done yet Are they done yet Are they done yet?  ;D