bacon wrapped chicken cordon bleu

Started by RedJada, December 03, 2012, 02:57:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

Well, two hours of apple smoke and another cooking. Pulled it out and let it rest for about 15 minutes. Cooked completely in the smoker at about 230 degrees. Next time I think Ill just do one hour smoke. Either way, it sure was darn good!

OU812

KyNola

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RedJada

I posted this on a fishing site I play on and was asked for the recipe. So thought I would share it here as well.

Brine solution - (1 gal. water, 1/4 cup table salt, 2/3 brown sugar) Thanks Ka Honu
3 boneless chicken breasts
1 lb bacon
Honey ham thinly sliced
Smoked Swiss

Mix brine solution until everything is dissolved. Soak chicken in the brine for an hour and a half, rinse.
Pound/flatten chicken to about 1/4-3/8" thick, about 8-9" dia.
Wrap the cheese in the ham as if you are wrapping a gift. I did three layers of ham, this keeps the cheese from melting out. (thanks ou812)
Take the ham/cheese package and rap the flatten chicken around it. Wrap/weave the bacon around the chicken and secure with tooth picks.

I smoked this for 3 hours total using 2 hours apple smoke + one more hour cooking @ 230 degrees. This was my first time doing this in a smoker so I didn't use any additional spices. I think the next time I make this Ill use a little less smoke. Either way, it sure is tasty stuff. 

josbocc

Looks marvelous!!!  This is by far my wife's favorite smoked dish.  We have yet to brine the chicken, but now I am rethinking that step for my next attempt.

A suggestion for your next smoke..., try Prosciutto instead of the ham.  Redneck Cordon Bleu, yummmmmmmm.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Silvergrizz

They look fantastic, gonna have to try them over the holidays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SiFumar

KyNola

Quote from: josbocc on December 09, 2012, 09:56:40 AM
A suggestion for your next smoke..., try Prosciutto instead of the ham.  Redneck Cordon Bleu, yummmmmmmm.
Jeff
Prosciutto?  Redneck?  Prosciutto is one of the most sought after and expensive ham's there is.  I certainly would not call it redneck.  I live in Western Kentucky.  Trust me, I know redneck.

Ka Honu

Gotta agree with KyNola there.  Now SPAM - that might be redneck!

KyNola

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 09, 2012, 06:29:54 PM
Gotta agree with KyNola there.  Now SPAM - that might be redneck!
Sounds like a notable Jeff Foxsworthy quote "If you've ever used Spam to make chicken cordon bleu.......you might be a redneck." ;D

mikecorn.1

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

josbocc

KY and Ka,

My sincerest apologies if I have offended anyone's roots.   :o  The term "Redneck Cordon Bleu" came after my first attempt at this..., which was done with CHEAP thin sliced ham.  We offered some to a couple of our more affluent friends, and they were the ones to suggest prosciutto the next time.  I was more than willing to undertake that smoke, and let me tell you that it was great.  (They brought the prosciutto.)

Either way, by far one of my favorites.

Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

KyNola

Quote from: josbocc on December 11, 2012, 01:34:49 PM
KY and Ka,
My sincerest apologies if I have offended anyone's roots.   :o  The term "Redneck Cordon Bleu" came after my first attempt at this..., which was done with CHEAP thin sliced ham.  We offered some to a couple of our more affluent friends, and they were the ones to suggest prosciutto the next time.  I was more than willing to undertake that smoke, and let me tell you that it was great.  (They brought the prosciutto.)
Either way, by far one of my favorites.
Jeff
Nah, we're good.  I think I misread your earlier post where you referred to prosciutto and redneck cordon bleu together.  Now I get it, the cheap thin sliced ham was the redneck cordon bleu.

My apologies my friend.

Ka Honu

Yeah, I read it the same way as KyNola and prosciutto just didn't hit the "redneck chord" with me either.  But I'm still looking forward to the SPAM version.  If you're gonna go redneck, go really redneck!