Dual element issue

Started by Bigun, December 04, 2012, 05:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigun

I added a second 500w element to my smoker this spring. I replaced the original at the same time, and now with less than a year on element has gone out. I have just noticed it tonite so I have done no troubleshooting on it. It is the element that is NOT controlled by the bypass switch that I added. I guess I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing shorter element life with the dual element mod.?

beefmann

Bradley has had a run with bad elements, I believe they have taken care of that issue.. though there might  be a few still around  which you  might have gotten a hold of

Bigun

I hope that is all there is to it..At least I kept the original.I can throw that one back in and pick up a new spare.

GusRobin

It is not a dual element issue as I did the mod in 2009 and mine still works fine.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

viper125

Nope kept the old one in and added another both doing fine. Im one of the lucky ones.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

devo

Quote from: viper125 on December 04, 2012, 08:45:44 PM
Nope kept the old one in and added another both doing fine. Im one of the lucky ones.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

LOL  Ya but your door fell off  ;D  Hope your luck is not the bad kind  ;)

TedEbear

Quote from: Bigun on December 04, 2012, 05:58:04 PMguess I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing shorter element life with the dual element mod.?

Several months after I added a second element one of them went out.  I don't have any bypass switch and so the other element just continued like normal.  I guess I had one of the bad batch elements because I replaced it and everything has been fine for over a year now.

Bigun

Thanks everyone. Sounds good, I could not think of a logical reason for this mod. to cause a shorter lifespan, but I knew if that was the case you guys would have it all figured out by now.

mikecorn.1

Lil late here but. I've never had any trouble with either element. Original or the second added. I do keep a spare, just in case. :). No bypass switch

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

rexster

My original element went out last week, purchased the DBS back in May. I had a spare and used it. Going to call Bradley for a warranty replacement this week
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

viper125

LOL! Devo. Well it seems the door breaking is expected. Seems they all do sooner or later. Figured more the 15 months though. But nope still blessed and lucky.
Inside setup.

Bigun

I have a spare element so of course it is not the element. Turns out to be the factory thermal fuse. I'm trying to figure out a cause.Runaway, or do these wear out over time? Guess I will be running a single element in the morning..

viper125

Nope! Not normally. Id go over it closely for a short. Could be dangerous.
Inside setup.

Bigun

I have looked it over very closely, no shorts. I guess my question now would be when I added the second element I did not add a thermal fuse to protect that portion of the circuit.Should I have added one? Or is it protected by the p.i.d.? If so is the protection sized large enough to handle both elements? I understand you would want the original thermal fuse in place to protect if you lost the p.i.d. and needed to go back to the factory controller(with one element).

Habanero Smoker

When you are talking about the thermal fuse, are you speaking of the in-line fuse, or the temperature sensor? If it is the in-line fuse, and you wired the second element separately, I can't see why that would blow the in-line fuse to the original element.

I have the OBS, and did not install a second in-line fuse or a second temperature sensor. I've been running my unit with the second element for almost 4 years, and still have the same two elements since I made the modification.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)