No HEAT HELP !!

Started by bundy, December 06, 2012, 04:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Went to do some sticks this morning and no heat from the Bradley. I have dual elements and the Arbur. Unpluged the arbur and went back to direct connection but still no heat. Controller lighs up but elements not getting hot.

Any ideas ?? What should I do with the meat?

Thanks

TedEbear

Try plugging the tower directly into a wall outlet.  If the elements still don't get hot then it's probably either the inline fuse or the temp sensor gone bad.  Both are located inside the tower.

Double check that everything is plugged in all the way.

bundy

If I plug tower direct into outlet won't it by pass the sensor and fuse ? I do have plugged in  direct now and the elements are heating O.K. got red in a couple of minutes.

So I checked fuse, looks OK, sensor wire?

bundy

I have the Bradley Digital 6 rack.

bundy

KyNola

If, when plugged directly into the outlet, the elements heat up it would indicate to me that you are not getting power from the smoke generator to the tower.  Check the power jumper cable that goes from the generator to the tower.  Unplug both ends and then replug firmly.  Hopefully that will restore power to the tower from the generator.

TedEbear

Quote from: bundy on December 06, 2012, 05:19:21 AM
If I plug tower direct into outlet won't it by pass the sensor and fuse ?

There are two fuses.  The one you can see is on the back of the SG box.  There's another inline fuse inside the back of the tower.  That's also where the overtemp sensor is located.

Since the elements are heating when you plug the tower directly into an outlet then something is wrong inside the SG box.  As KyNola suggested, be sure that the cord between the SG and tower is plugged in tightly at both ends

If it is and the elements are still not heating then you might unplug everything, remove the cover off the SG and see if there's a wire loose inside.  If you have a multimeter you can further troubleshoot where the problem might be inside the SG.

bundy

OK I will have to take the SG apart and ck it.

Thanks All

Habanero Smoker

You didn't get any "E" errors?

The below link will help you troubleshoot:
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bundy

It did  give a E1 error. I called customer service, they told me to ck the voltage coming out of the SG, I did showed 120.

Even if I bypass the SG and plug the Auber direct to the tower it still won't work.

Finally put all back together with the Auber hook up and it looks like it wants to power up but the elements only get warm, tower temp 95* after 15 minutes and I have it set for 130*

Don't know what to do or what part is fault to order a new part??

Any Ideas would be helpful.

Thanks

Mr Walleye

Bundy

I think a few of the guys didn't realize you are running a PID.

First of all, put you sticks in the fridge, they will be fine until you get this sorted out.

There is clearly nothing wrong with anything in the tower. The test was to plug it in directly and it passed.

Now I assume you normally plug your PID directly into a wall outlet and not into the smoke generator. Correct?

Next question, What PID are you using?
If it is a programable PID do you have the programs set correctly?

Is it powering up correctly and are the LEDs lighting up when it is calling for heat?

I have to run out for a few minutes but I'll be back.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Mr Walleye

Bundy

I just realized your post was from this morning. Did ya get it figured out?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

The E1 error is because of the small thin sensor wire that runs from the generator to the tower.  Unplug it and then plug it back in and see if that stops the E1 error.  You may have to do it several times to insure a good connection with the sensor cable.

I'll yield to Mike on his expertise with the PID involved.  He certainly knows his stuff.  Mike, when he said he had heat when the tower was plugged directly into the power source, I wonder if the PID was involved or just straight from the tower?  I'm thinking you are on the right track with the PID properly connected and programmed.

Mike is da man so bundy, so listen to what Mike tells ya.  He will have you up and going in no time.   

bundy

Mike, no I have not got it working yet. I have tried a new sensor wire also,

The PID ( an Auber-WS) lights up and green light shows power going out. Have it programed for 130*-3hours on 1st stage and 165*- to 152* stop on the second stage.

It only gets a little warm and stops. I do have it plugged into the power strip bar along with everything else.

It has worked great all the other times I have used it.

Thanks for any help.

GusRobin

try without the power strip, directly to the wall
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.