No HEAT HELP !!

Started by bundy, December 06, 2012, 04:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TedEbear

Quote from: bundy on December 06, 2012, 09:01:18 PM
It only gets a little warm and stops. I do have it plugged into the power strip bar along with everything else.

The Bradley doesn't like extension cords or power strips.  People have had low heat problems when using them with their smoker.

bundy

Well I tried unplugging the Power Strip and plugged both cords into the wall outlet, didn't seem to make a difference, elements are only warm at best. The -H- symbol did come up on the Auber ( PID )???????????

bundy

Seems like I'm getting 120 volts to the tower but not the elements.

TedEbear

Quote from: bundy on December 07, 2012, 04:23:46 AM
Seems like I'm getting 120 volts to the tower but not the elements.

I thought you said yesterday that when you plugged the tower directly into a wall outlet the elements heated up and got red within a couple of minutes.  It's not a problem in the tower, if that's the case.

bundy

That's true, when I run a cord direct from the tower to outlet it worked.

Now the power comes from the PID which is plugged into the wall outlet.

Doesn't make sense to me as it reads 120 volt coming out of the PID/Tower cord but when I plug it in to the tower the elements are not heating.

Mr Walleye

Bundy

I'm sure it's something with the PID.

Can you tell me exactly how you have the temps and times programed in?

I'm assuming it's the WS-1200 single probe PID?

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bundy

Mike, It's a WSD-1500CPH Dual Probe.

I programmed first stage for 130* for 3 hours, second stage is set for 165* until meat probe shows 152*. I did not clear any of the stages after that.

Mr Walleye

Bundy

Sorry, I'm at work... it always gets in the way.  ;D

Those settings should work. I would step through the settings and make sure they are correct.

When you plug it in and try to run it does the "OUT" led come on to indicate it's sending power to the elements?

Mike

bundy

Yes the green LED  out light comes on, stays on, recycles after awhile and I put a volt meter on the end of the cord going to the tower and it shows it's putting out 120 volts when the green light is on. It's just not heating up or getting to the elements. Is there something in the tower between the elements and the power cord plug in?

And why does it heat up if I just run a cord from the tower to the oulet??

Mr Walleye

That's a good question!  ;)  :D

Are you using the same cord?

Making sure it's seated correctly?

Mike

Mr Walleye

By chance you wouldn't have changed the parameter setting called "OUt"? It should be set to "100". It's on page 12 of the manual.

http://auberins.com/images/Manual/WSD-1503CPH.pdf

Mike

Waltz

What temperature does the Auber display show Bundy?

bundy

I will ck cord and settings again when I get home from work.

Waltz, The auber shows about 56* when the air temp is 50*, warmed up only 5* in 15 min.

DaWiz

To test the output from the PID I would:

Plug a lamp into the PID and verify that the bulb is as bright as when plugged into a wall socket.
If the bulb is not as bright then there is a power problem from the PID.

Use a different power cord from the PID to the smoker and see if that makes a difference.
If there is no change then the problem has to be in the skoker. 

I have not looked closely but think this can be done:
Pull the hot wire that goes to the element from rhe thermal cutoff and plug it on the plug.  This will bypas the sensor.
See if it heats properly.

I would strongly suspect the smoker since both the {ID and the SG have the prpblem

Mr Walleye

Quote from: DaWiz on December 07, 2012, 10:31:55 AM

To test the output from the PID I would:

Plug a lamp into the PID and verify that the bulb is as bright as when plugged into a wall socket.
If the bulb is not as bright then there is a power problem from the PID.

Use a different power cord from the PID to the smoker and see if that makes a difference.
If there is no change then the problem has to be in the skoker. 

This is an excellent idea to test the PID.

Quote from: DaWiz on December 07, 2012, 10:31:55 AM
I have not looked closely but think this can be done:
Pull the hot wire that goes to the element from rhe thermal cutoff and plug it on the plug.  This will bypas the sensor.
See if it heats properly.

I would strongly suspect the smoker since both the {ID and the SG have the prpblem

I don't think there  is a problem with the actual tower or any wiring in it because he can plug the tower directly into the wall outlet and the elements turn red hot. I think it has to be a problem with the cord from the PID to the tower, The settings or parameters in the PID or there is a problem in the PID itself.

Don't hesitate to get in touch with Suyi Lou from Auber and see if he can help you out. I spoke to him a number of times and he is great at responding to emails even on weekends.

Mike