No HEAT HELP !!

Started by bundy, December 06, 2012, 04:32:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Well here is the latest update:

I again plugged direct into the wall from tower to comfirm what I thought I saw and sure enough the element DO get red hot.

So then I measured voltage at the end of the power cord from the PID and sure enough is reads 120 volts. So I assume it must be from the plug in in the back of the tower to the element somewhere.

Then I swapped power cords and used the one from the SG to the PID to run to the Tower. Lo and behold it now heats the elements up?? Then I put the other PID/Tower cord to the SG to PID. Now it appears than the SG is not getting hot enough to smoke the pucks even though the digital read out says all is working and the volt meter says 120 is coming to it.

So I guess it must be that cord?? Wonder if I can get something like that local?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: bundy on December 08, 2012, 04:21:59 AM
Well here is the latest update:

I again plugged direct into the wall from tower to comfirm what I thought I saw and sure enough the element DO get red hot.

So then I measured voltage at the end of the power cord from the PID and sure enough is reads 120 volts. So I assume it must be from the plug in in the back of the tower to the element somewhere.

Then I swapped power cords and used the one from the SG to the PID to run to the Tower. Lo and behold it now heats the elements up?? Then I put the other PID/Tower cord to the SG to PID. Now it appears than the SG is not getting hot enough to smoke the pucks even though the digital read out says all is working and the volt meter says 120 is coming to it.

So I guess it must be that cord?? Wonder if I can get something like that local?

Bundy

That's good news and an easy fix!  ;)

Which cord is it? Is it the one with a standard male plug on one end with a computer style female plug on the other end?

If it is you can simply use a computer cord like this:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200424CVF&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwordsCA-_-pla-_-NA-_-NA

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

bundy

It is Mike, but looks more heavy duty than the computer cord, thicker wire?

DaWiz

I picked up some computer cords for my setup at Radio Shack. No problems with therm.

Alanfromwis

There must be thousands of no longer used computers with good cords just laying around. I am using a old computer cord with my 900 watt element with no problems.
Alan
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

Mr Walleye

Bundy

Too bad your not near me. Man, at the office I have buckets of those cords. I agree with the others, I've never had a problem using the computer cords. You could have a look around and see if you can find one with 14 gauge wire.

Mike

bundy

Thanks all for the help, hopefully won't have anymore problems. Was by you Mike  maybe in Oct. when I went to Alberta moose hunting!

Mr Walleye

Quote from: bundy on December 08, 2012, 09:28:18 AM
Thanks all for the help, hopefully won't have anymore problems. Was by you Mike  maybe in Oct. when I went to Alberta moose hunting!

No problem Bundy.

You should have stopped in for "pop"!  ;)

Did you guys get any moose? My brother-in-law and his dad got 2 not far from here. I just made 100 lbs of moose sausage for them a couple weeks ago.

Mike

bundy

I did get one, finally! Don't think I will go back there again, to much oil well work going on.

The one I did get was only a 2 year old but ended up being really tough meat, don't know what happened.

I will be making sausage soon if you want to share your recipe??

My guide/friend called your "pop"  "wobblies" thought that was funny!

Mr Walleye

We used to always call them wobblie pops too.

I used my Kielbasa recipe that's posted on the recipe site. I used 50% moose and 50% 70/30 pork. I used 38/42 hog casings and they turned out fantastic.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?784-Mike-s-Kielbasa&p=1186#post1186

Mike