Well I did it Venison trail Bologna

Started by viper125, December 07, 2012, 12:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

viper125

I was feeling a little better the past few day so started my Meat. De-boned a whole pork  front leg.  More commonly know as a Picnic ham and pork butt! 

Here is the big nasty gland removed.

Saving the bone of coarse for beans,broth or soup probably.And for those that don't know it has a lot of medical properties in the hills, Most common for colds and flues. Yep!  Any fresh made broth not just chicken broth. And store bought don't contain that. Also good for a water substitute in meats and meals.

Then I run it threw My Turbo Grinder. In less then 5 minutes or so run it through the coarse and fine plates. Pretty cheap grinder on eBay but does a great job. a little noisy though and big. But I like Big. No dicing in small pieces and no chocking up. This is a coarse grind.

Hers the fine grind.

Add the Pork to the mixer and the Venison on top. Dont mind the bare feet, as this is a normal for me. With the diabetes and the peripheral neuropathy cant stand socks or shoes.

THe Kirby Mixer by Pikeman) Really nice easy way to mix or emulsify in minutes.

Meat with spices added and emulsified. Now add the powdered milk. If added sooner it would suck up the water and wouldn't emulsify or mix right.

Then into my 5 lb.  Enterprise Stuffer!

Photo of me and my stuffer. LOL!

Cant forget my helper she does all my cranking for me. Don't like her photo took with out fixing up. Caught her off guard. But my Beautiful Wife Kathy even though shes not at her finest. She's always around to help when I need her. God bless her heart when we stuffed these she asked when we'd have the money for a Kirby stuffer too! Always thinking about me and buying for me.

Using the the  1 1/2 lb casings you only get 7 rings. Normally use 1 1/4 lb.   

So off to my Bradley set up. Already running

Into the smoker;

And getting good and smoky!

Now I know store bought ring Bologna isn't smoked. But all mine meat is! LOL!  Sorry for the cell phone pics but that,s the best I could do. And sorry its so long winded but its been a while since I could really post something. Will post finale pics when done.

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Sam3

Looks good Viper. You using a pre-made mix or your own?

viper125

NO! Don't really use them. I got one from here and been tweaking it  to our taste. Turns out excellent. Tried to find the original owner to give credit but no one claimed it. And there are several I see based about the same here. But either way this is the best I have ever found.  And trail Bologna is a name given to it for the Troyer's Brand ring Bologna because that's the city it was made in. I call mine Trail because this is what I want mine like. Probably the only store bought meat for me to rate that high. We used it a lot growing up fishing and hunting and still do. A ring in your pocket and a good hunk of your favorite cheese and you and some one else was fed for the day.
Any way here's the recipe I use these days and think its really close when Emulsified. Hope you enjoy it!

Like to give Kudos to those that made this but no one has confessed. :) But its a typical German Bologna Style I would say.  And it has been tweaked a bit.
Trail bologna for 10 lbs.   

7 lbs Venison or 90/10 Beef
2 lbs. pork butt
1 lb. beef or pork fat or another lb. of butt If butts are fatty I use but if not then add fat.
4 Tbs Kosher Salt
2 tsp cure #1.......level tsp
2 Tbs Spanish Paprika
2 1/2 Tbs  Onion Powder
3 Tbs garlic powder
3 tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp cardamom, ground
3 tsp mustard powder
3 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp mace
1/2 cup corn syrup solids
1/4 cup powdered dextrose
1.5 cup water
2 cups non-fat-dry milk 

For a 10 lb batch you will need 8 trail bologna rounds. You can use straight bologna casings also. Soak the casings for 45 mins in cold water and 1 Tbs salt added. Rinse before stuffing.
  Mix all the above dry with the water .  Stuff casings and ring the end.   Place in smoker at 140* for 1.5 hrs to dry casings. Smoke at 140.* for 1 hour 1 hour at 150* then to 165* and your looking for a meat IT of 150 -155*   Chill in cold water till approx 90* Then hang and Bloom.

For emulsifying Here is some good advise.

Quote from HAB on Emulsifying.(Thank You!)
If I am making emulsified sausage, I will use the stainless steel blade from start to finish. I grind the meat and fat separate, and keep them separated. After grinding I chill the meat, and fat. When mixing I use chipped ice and add all the seasoning to the meat; except soy protein concentrate or powdered milk. If you add that at the beginning, those ingredients will bind up too much water, not leaving enough to fully emulsify with the meat. Process until the meat temperature reaches 40°F, add fat and continue to process until meat reaches around 45°F. Add powdered milk or soy protein, and process until the meat reaches 55°F. Be careful at that last step. If the meat reaches 60°F, the emulsification will be ruined.
Inside setup.

Mr Walleye

Nice job Viper!

It looks excellent!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

SiFumar

Keymaster

Those look great Viper, bet that stuffer must way a hefty 60# or so?

viper125

ahh probably 15 or 20 maybe. But its all cast Iron and they are a great stuffer.
Next one will be a Kirby when I get rich!  :-[
Inside setup.

viper125

By the way here is the recipe I use. In case any one is interested in trying.

Like to give Kudos to those that made this but no one has confessed. :) But its a typical German Bologna Style I would say.  And it has been tweaked a bit.

Trail bologna for 10 lbs.   

7 lbs Venison or 90/10 Beef
2 lbs. pork butt
1 lb. beef or pork fat or another lb. of butt  ( i find the butts around here have plenty of fat)
4 Tbs Kosher Salt
2 tsp cure #1.......level tsp
2 Tbs Spanish Paprika
2 1/2 Tbs  Onion Powder
3 Tbs garlic powder
3 tsp ground white pepper
2 tsp cardamom, ground
3 tsp mustard powder
3 tsp red pepper flakes
2 tsp mace
1/2 cup corn syrup solids
1/4 cup powdered dextrose
1.5 cup water
2 cups non-fat-dry milk

For a 10 lb batch you will need 8 trail bologna rounds. You can use straight bologna casings also. Soak the casings for 45 mins in cold water and 1 Tbs salt added. Rinse before stuffing.
  Mix all the above dry with the water .  Stuff casings and ring the end.   Place in smoker at 140* for 1.5 hrs to dry casings. Smoke at 140.* for 1 hour 1 hour at 150* then to 165* and your looking for a meat IT of 150 -155*   Chill in cold water till approx 90* Then hang.

For emulsifying Here is some good advise.

Quote from HAB on Emulsifying.(Thank You!)
If I am making emulsified sausage, I will use the stainless steel blade from start to finish. I grind the meat and fat separate, and keep them separated. After grinding I chill the meat, and fat. When mixing I use chipped ice and add all the seasoning to the meat; except soy protein concentrate or powdered milk. If you add that at the beginning, those ingredients will bind up too much water, not leaving enough to fully emulsify with the meat. Process until the meat temperature reaches 40°F, add fat and continue to process until meat reaches around 45°F. Add powdered milk or soy protein, and process until the meat reaches 55°F. Be careful at that last step. If the meat reaches 60°F, the emulsification will be ruined.
Inside setup.

viper125

Well all done and had to screw up! Was getting close to bed time and decided to rush it!~ Yeah I know first mistake, Then realized Maverick was still in garage. Yep second mistake. When I enter the kitchen had a small stream of smoke. Definitely not good. Well hurried and pulled and threw in cold water. Couple cases split but not bad and casings were a little darker then I like. Picked the worse one to slice and it is excellent and not dry at all. Not fated out and Delicious. Think it might be because the meat is tighter with emulsifying it. Well not the best looking I have made but definitely a keeper.I will slice all mine any way and seal and freeze till time to eat. This keeps very well! No one the wiser once the cases are removed.  ;) ;) Will be great with crackers and cheese.

But here is  pic after cooling and of course the best looking sides.  ::)

Inside setup.

Consooger

wow that looks fantastic. The color on that is very nice!
"Telling you to invest in smoking your own jerky because buying it so much was getting way too expensive was the worst thing I could have ever done to us, now look at the monster I have created!" :-)
               -My Wife

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for posting the recipe. You have inspired me. I'm may make some sausage sometime next week.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

OK now Im REALLY hungry!

Looks really good Viper,,,,,,,,,,,,,,thanks for the recipe

viper125

Well I have tested it on 10 of my toughest friends who don't even like deer. And all said the same. Excellent. My non wild game eating son in law has become an eater! LOL! All sliced and ready for the holidays now.
But Kirby's mixer and blade makes a huge difference. The texture is like a store bought lunch meat. Some thing seems most today enjoy. And seems even when over cooked some it remains moist and solid not crumbly. My wife really loves the texture and I may try some other sausages and meats emulsified. It also gets a lot better mix then any way I've ever done it so makes for a better tasting mix too!
So give it a try and if you got a Kirby mixer use it and if not get one!
A big thank You to Kirby!
Inside setup.

OU812

Its on my to do list,,,,,right after the snack sticks Im doin towarrow

viper125

Thanks for the compliments. I am including a few money shots or close ups. The bag is about five lbs of sliced. Ready to bag up in smaller portions. This freezes excellent and have eaten it over a year later. Saved a ring to ship to Indiana to an old fellow, He was a smoker to but cant do it any more. He is wheel chair bound and very limited. Meet him on line a few years ago.So when I make things I usually mail him some. Figure it wont be long now till I get that way. Also have guy bring 20 lbs of venison for me to do. Keeps me busy. If you check the close up you can see the difference emulsifying does. Changes texture, and helps hold the moisture and get a better mix of spices and cure. oh the cracked edges you see is wher a couple rings split, their fine just not as pretty. But this bunch dont care as long as they taste good! ;)

5# bag

Inside setup.