Cheese Smoking Question?

Started by RedJada, December 08, 2012, 12:12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

I just put in some mild cheddar, Monterey jack and mozzarella for a two hour smoke, my first cheese smoke. I had to put in two ice trays to maintain 75-80 degrees. Anyway, looks like things are going good. My question is how long should I let it rest before wrapping/sealing? I know I need to wipe it down after the smoke. Just not sure how long it should set before storing. Thanks for the help.

On a side note, I will be following this cheese smoke with a cordon blue smoke. But that's a whole'nuther topic.

KyNola

My suggestion is to wipe them down as soon as you take them out of the smoker and let them set for an hour or so.  If no more moisture or oil comes to the surface, you should be good to seal.  If more moisture or oil does show up, blot them again, let them set longer and then seal.

RedJada

Thanks KyNola, still have 90 minutes to go. That does answer my question. I will post a pick before I wrap.

RedJada

Just pulled the cheese and have the kitchen smelling good. Time to let it rest, wipe, store. Hoping Ill have some good cheese for new years.

OU812

Cheese looks gooood

I would invert that rack wile its resting,,,,so air can get all around the cheese,,just sayin

RedJada

RedJada

Ok, just wiped the cheese for the first time. Going to give it another hour resting time then wipe and seal. Seal meal bags are ready and waiting. While getting the bags ready, it just smelled so good in the kitchen. So the wife and I had to take a taste. I cut about a 1/4 inch slice off the mild cheddar and we split that. So this goes out to anyone that is smoking cheese for the first time. IT DOES TASTE LIKE AN ASH TRAY. :o Well, that's my review for now. I will be wrapping/sealing soon. I will post again around new years....

OU812

Quote from: RedJada on December 08, 2012, 03:27:42 PM
Ok, just wiped the cheese for the first time. Going to give it another hour resting time then wipe and seal. Seal meal bags are ready and waiting. While getting the bags ready, it just smelled so good in the kitchen. So the wife and I had to take a taste. I cut about a 1/4 inch slice off the mild cheddar and we split that. So this goes out to anyone that is smoking cheese for the first time. IT DOES TASTE LIKE AN ASH TRAY. :o Well, that's my review for now. I will be wrapping/sealing soon. I will post again around new years....

You were warned  ;D

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on December 08, 2012, 03:48:55 PM

You were warned  ;D
I am betting it went something like this

Can we try some?
NO Honey the guys on the forum said it would taste nasty. They said it would taste like licking an ashtray
It cant be that bad I mean it smells so good. Lets try it!!
We really should let it cool all the way then vac seal it like they said
Its cool now and it smells so good it can't be as bad as they say it is. Besides how would they know what an ashtray tastes like?
No we shou.... OK let's try it!! Here's a piece for you now wait for me to get a piece. OK on 3, 1-2-3
YYYYUUUUUCCCCKKK!!!!!! That is nasty it DOES taste like an ashtray. Don't you dare tell them we did that and they will never know.
Honey I have to tell them the look on your face was priceless!!
Asshole
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Keymaster

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 08, 2012, 04:11:12 PM
Quote from: OU812 on December 08, 2012, 03:48:55 PM

You were warned  ;D
I am betting it went something like this

Can we try some?
NO Honey the guys on the forum said it would taste nasty. They said it would taste like licking an ashtray
It cant be that bad I mean it smells so good. Lets try it!!
We really should let it cool all the way then vac seal it like they said
Its cool now and it smells so good it can't be as bad as they say it is. Besides how would they know what an ashtray tastes like?
No we shou.... OK let's try it!! Here's a piece for you now wait for me to get a piece. OK on 3, 1-2-3
YYYYUUUUUCCCCKKK!!!!!! That is nasty it DOES taste like an ashtray. Don't you dare tell them we did that and they will never know.
Honey I have to tell them the look on your face was priceless!!
Asshole
Been there done that ;D ;D ;D

viper125

Hmm I never wiped mine at all. Will  try that next time. Usually I pull and let cool if there is something oily then I wipe wrap in cellophane and place on the lowest shell in refrigerator. Nothing unusual to find a hunk or two the next year when adding more. And always in god shape. Great Job RedJada Looks good enough to eat! ;)
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

JZ

QuoteBeen there done that ;D ;D ;D

Haven't we all. :)

I still remember like it was yesterday, saying to the wife "It can't be that bad, I'm gonna try it ........... HOLY CRAP IT IS!!!!"

KyNola

Quote from: JZ on December 08, 2012, 05:34:15 PM
QuoteBeen there done that ;D ;D ;D
Haven't we all. :)
I still remember like it was yesterday, saying to the wife "It can't be that bad, I'm gonna try it ........... HOLY CRAP IT IS!!!!"

DITTO! ;D

SamuelG

SamuelG

RedJada

Tenpoint, your pretty much spot on. ;D