First time smoking salmon

Started by rooster85, December 01, 2012, 06:34:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster85

So I found whole salmon on sale for $1.20 per lb so I bought a few. I've haven't smoked salmon yet, this will be my first time. Anybody have any recipes for peppered salmon? I'd like to do some with pepper and some without. Thanks in advance.

Habanero Smoker

A little more information would be helpful.

Do you want to cook the salmon hot and fast, or low and slow?

That is a great deal on salmon.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

rooster85

Thanks devo, I'll check that out.
Habenero, as I've never smoked salmon before I'm not sure what the difference would be. What would be the difference between hot and fast and low and slow with the salmon?

devo

This is the only way I do my salmon now. Even if I screw up real bad it still comes out tasting good  ;)
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=107.0
This would be considered low and slow. If I was you I would filet the salmon if not already, pull out all the pin bones because you don't want them in there. Follow the recipe in the link provided. Add pepper to half the salmon just after the smoke time, they will still be wet enough to hold the pepper. The pepper is just a added spice for someones tastes. Be care not to add to much as it might make it to peppery.
You can also check out this link to our recipe site for more salmon recipes
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?106-Salmonur smoke.
Good luck on your smoke.
Don

Habanero Smoker

Low and slow, would be to brine the salmon, and use low cabinet temperatures, gradually increasing the temperature until you reach your desired doneness. Kummok recipe that is a sticky at the top of the Fish category is an excellent example of that.

Hot and fast; for an example would be to take a salmon recipe that was developed to cook on a stove top, oven or grill. With these type of recipes you need to modify the recipe some to smoke/roast it in the Bradley at temperatures of 225 - 250°F. I prefer to do it this way, because it give me a variety of ways to prepare salmon. Doing it this way, will gives you plenty of smoke flavor also.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)