Smoked Eel

Started by Tante Z, December 10, 2012, 07:06:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tante Z

Does anyone have an idea on how to smoke eel with a Bradley?  What chips to use and how long to smoke?  In addition, I am a first time poster and this validation crap with the verification letters and question is a real pain in the ass.   They are impossible to read and lsitenig to the audio is a waste of time.  Ugh

Keymaster

The verification stops after a few (I think 10) Posts. Welcome aboard Tante Z. I have never seen anyone smoke Eel but maybe someone here will be able to help you out. Hope to see some pictures of that smoke!!

rooster85

Smoked eel sounds interesting. Like to see the results.

pmmpete

I like the smoked eel served with sushi.  But unfortunately eels are not available in my area, either wild or in stores. What fish are adequate substitutes for eel?  And does anybody have any recipes for the kinds of sauce usually found on Japanese smoked eel?

3rensho

Smoked eel is commonplace in these parts but haven't done it myself yet.  I'd use alder or oak.  Temp?  Like hot smoking salmon I'd guess.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

manxman

I have never done smoked eel but visit a smokehouse in England occasionally that does smoke em and they gave me some tips..... between us we came up with an outline plan!

Gut and take the head off, it is also important to bleed them out as well apparently. Toss them in some salt / sand and then "strip" the skin of the slimy mucus that coats it using gloves to roll it off. Wash thoroughly inside and out in a few changes of fresh water.

Brine in 80 degree brine for between 6 and 10 minutes depending on eel size. Dry with paper towel and leave in fridge for few hours to dry.

Hang in Bradley and smoke, suggest oak would be good....... they don't use a Bradley but suggested 1 - 2 hours of smoke.

First hour leave Bradley temp control completely to left then bring cabinet temperature up to around 190F and cook to I.T around 145F,  the flesh should flake nicely at this stage.

Just some thoughts, never had the chance to actually try it!  ;)

Manxman

JZ

Sounds great. I have had smoked eel in a sushi restaurant and really liked it. Wishing you success with this one and let us know how it turns out.

Pics would be great too.

Smokeville

Quote from: Tante Z on December 10, 2012, 07:06:59 PM
Does anyone have an idea on how to smoke eel with a Bradley?  What chips to use and how long to smoke?  In addition, I am a first time poster and this validation crap with the verification letters and question is a real pain in the ass.   They are impossible to read and lsitenig to the audio is a waste of time.  Ugh

Hello Tante Z;

My daughter-in-law is of Dutch descent. Not to make an assumption, but when you speak of eel I have to guess if you are too?

Like others, I have not tried smoking eel, but I have had some requests for it. The problem is getting the raw eel here in Ontario, Canada. There are a few local companies that provide it to the Dutch community here.

The only thing I can suggest is "trial and error." Try Oak, and treat it like Mackerel, perhaps? I could be way off base but I think eel has enough oil to withstand accidental overcooking.

Regards, Rich