A fish "TAIL" from Alaska

Started by iceman, December 08, 2012, 04:03:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

iceman

Last week I was in the docs office for a visit. Won't bore ya with details but getting old sucks  ;)
So one story leads to another and another etc. and then comes the fishing stories. OMG!!! this guy is GOOD!  ::)
Anyhow he starts to tell me about some guy on a forum that has this really great recipe for smoked salmon. Now, I have to bite my tongue, and keep from squirming around like a two year old on a soda pop fix. Then he mentions "BRADLEY" and some weird name like Kummo of Krumick or something like that. About then I bust a gut laughing. I said "yep the guy from Homer Alaska" and he gives me the laser stare!  ;D
Long story short he has some fish in the freezer and wanted it smoked up to take down to Merica for presents this holiday. He wanted to try our good friends recipe but it was 10 below and he only had a little chief smoker.
Fast forward, we end up at my place the next day and that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  ;)

Frozen salmon tails.

My twist on the brine ingredients.

In the brine.

In the smoker.

Resting.

Packaged and the end of my fish tale.  ;D

Gotta love this forum!!!

pikeman_95

Great story
The fish looks great and I like the ones with my initials on them
KC

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Tenpoint5

Nicely done Ice!! Funny how a little forum like this is known about and talked about in some of the oddest places and times
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

JZ

Nice job and now you can trade with him........... smoking fish for free medical. Seems fair. :)

KyNola

How cool is that?  Nicely done Ice!

Keymaster

Thats a swell story!! Superb looking salmon too .

SamuelG

SamuelG

viper125

Very nice and Like the labels to! What type bags you using. Looks more like a zip lock then a sealer  bag.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

iceman

Quote from: viper125 on December 08, 2012, 07:26:15 PM
Very nice and Like the labels to! What type bags you using. Looks more like a zip lock then a sealer  bag.

Those are gold foil vac bags that also have a zip lock to re seal them once you cut the top off.

Silvergrizz

That salmon looks great. What type of vac sealer uses those bags, or will they work in any type? Picking up a salmon on Tuesday for cold smoking, vac sealer is really old, maybe time to look at a new one. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

viper125

Have to check those out. Pretty cool looking. Probably pretty pricey too!  ::)
Will those work in a regular Home Vaccum sealer also! See their listed for commercial use mostly. At .14 thats not too bad.!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

smoker pete

That's what I'm talkin about!!  :o  Great job on that salmon ...

Were those Reds or Silvers?  It still amazes me that Alaskans won't eat Pinks (they prefer to serve it to their dogs) yet virtually every can of salmon I have found in the grocery stores here in the lower 48 are "Pink" salmon.  Go figure ... You guys are spoiled up there and I'm hoping to get spoiled again in 2013 ...  :D ;)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

OU812

Nicely done Pat

Kinda looks like youve done that before  ;D