Pork Spare Rips

Started by ND Smoker, April 12, 2006, 06:54:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ND Smoker

Hello everyone,  Been watching in the shadows for awhile now.  I have tried a few different items in my bradley and they have turned out ok.  I tried about 12lbs of spare ribs from sams club.  I smoked in 2 shifts, half and half one with oak and one with hickory.  I used a rub from the forum - let them sit in the refer over night in ziplocks.  I set the smoker @ 195 and smoked for @ 4 hrs w/ bacon on the top shelf.  I wrapped them in foil and moved them into the oven @ 205 for an additional 4 hrs.  They came out ok but there was a lot of fat inside the meat that really turned everyone off.  I really poured the rub on (because the last time I was fairly skimpy on it) this time but there was just a hint of seasoning when we ate them.  I had the vent mostly open and worry about the outside getting dry if I don't wrap and move to the oven.  I tried a brisket a few weeks back using the same methods and had basically the same results.  The taste was ok, the smoke was good but the fat is an issue - I think there is more in the Fargo dump than what we ate.  I was devoted to these ribs this time.  With the floods I had a generator on standby for the sump pumps and one for the smoker.  Luckly the power didn't go out this time.  Any thoughts out there or Ideas on what I should try?  Will I have better luck with a different cut of meat?  I have made it through the grill to the brinkman all in one to the bradley, so I have had a fair amount of practice on ribs.  I haven't tried smoking anything else except the ribs, jerky and the one brisket.  I have a few phesants from last fall in the freezer right next to the northerns that I would like to try eventually.

icerat4

Ok mr. ND .Your problem is not the  the sams club ribs its the time.First of all i use sams clubs meat and let me tell you there great for the money.Second of all the spare ribs they sell are great but your times are way off.I do sams clubs baby back ribs not spare ribs which take longer only 7 eight pounds of baby back ribs at the mosts at 195-200 for 4 -5 hours with the bacon deal on top.Your putting to much meat on at one time for this quick smoke remember low and slow..Any one else want to chime in. Great sams club meat give it more time even if ya gota taste test no one will know LOL.Ya need more time at a lower temp trust me i have these sam club ribs down to a tee.Next time try the baby back better cut my friend.Let me know how all turns out.O yea use the emril rib rub on those baby backs.Fantastic just do a pull test to see where your at.If it takes longer dont worry you wil figure it out .

owrstrich

nd...

you need to look at this link....

http://forum.bradleysmoker.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1140

it talks about internal temps and connective tissue...

low and slow to desired internal... with spares and briskets its 190 internal for me... the link above explains it all in great detail...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

jaeger

ND Smoker,
To bad about the water problems. What a pain! We had to fight the same thing two summers ago at my in laws house while they were on vacation in Norway. I just had a hunch to send my wife over to check their house. Probably good that they were gone so we could make the decisions to "get er done".
I think you are doing a wonderful job. You really seem to know what to do. A word about spare ribs, first of all, they are not the choice cut of ribs. There is a lot more bone involved with the spare ribs and I don't care where you buy it, but the quality will vary from one batch to the next. Fat amounts and size amounts will vary. I would recommend the baby backs also.(Don't forget to remove the membrane from the underside.)
As far as the brisket, here again, they are variable in quality. They will  contain a certain amount of fat. Look them over closely before purchasing.
Here is my suggestion, pick up some boneless chicken breast, season a few and marinade a few. Maybe try a new rub or tweak what you are using. Another item low in fat, boneless pork loin. Here again with the pork loin, you could cut the loin in half and use two seasonings/marinades to work out your favorites. Keep us posted on your next smoke.

Habanero Smoker

In addition to what jaeger has already stated, if you get your brisket for Sam's you are getting an untrimmed cut of meat. I always trim the fat of my briskets to about 1/4 inch thick, and cut off any hard fat. I've done a few briskets, and I don't have a problem with them drying out. I take them out of the smoker at 180F.

I can't help you with the ribs. I don't do many of those.

I tested the link that owrstrich and I got a blank page. This may be the link he is refering to http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=72.0

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

icerat4

Baby got back ribs are the way to go. If the ribs are  bought at sams club. Like they said de membrane them.Rub them down and wrap them in plastic wrap 15-24 HOURS is ok or just the day before you do them NO ZIP LOCK BAGS .Take them out of the fridge let them get to room temp.Get the bs going to temps 190-200 no higher.Put the ribs in WITH THE  biggest cuts on the bottom and the smaller cuts on top.Leave the top shelf empty for now.The vent on top is half way open at all times no biggie.After 2 hours rotate the racks and mop with sweet baby rays bbq sauce.In the thrid hour place the bacon on top then let it go for the remaining time 7-8 pounds of sams baby back ribs take 4-5 hours .Then take them out and do the ftc deal for about an hour or so.This is the way ive done them and they are too die for all the people ive givin them too also say the same.So try this hope it helps ;)

BigSmoker

I trim my spares down to St Louis style most time ;D.  Its easy to do and then I use the leftovers from the trimming as the top shelf stuff instead of the bacon.  Pull off the membrane stuff best you can as this helps the ribs absorb the smoke better.  I would try some with just some S&P, garlic powder and maybe some paprika for a little color and work up from there with the rub.  I don't normally refigerate mine over night with the rub or anything lately cause I just haven't had time.  No big difference in taste so far.  Just really have to cook them to render out that fat nice and slow.  Keep at it you will get them the way you like em.  My spares usually go 8-9 hours or more.  HTH Enjoy ;D.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

icerat4

How many pounds are you doing with those times .Big smoker.

BigSmoker

Quote from: icerat4 on April 13, 2006, 12:25:46 PM
How many pounds are you doing with those times .Big smoker.

2 full racks how ever much that weighs ;D.  If I do baby backs they usually take 5-6 hours.  I like to keep the temps ways down round 215f.  If you want them to be done faster 235-250 will work fine too IMO
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

icerat4

No thanks on that higher temp deal.I am in no rush. More time to enjoy the hot tub and the weiss beer with a lemon twist  ;) Let the meat do what they say its going to do. What do they say render and get the fibers moist deal .Yea thats it i love the low and slow deal ROOM for lots of error.LOL ;D.But i do agree with Bigsmoker completly very well said sir. ;D

ND Smoker

Thanks for the info guys.  After looking at the link posted I think my problem both with the brisket and the ribs is that after the 4 hrs of smoke I wrapped in foil and cooked in the oven.  Probably not getting the dry environment needed with them wrapped. 
Icerat - I am a little confused with the time thing.  I smoked each 6 lb set for 4 hrs each.  I ran 2 shifts so the most meat I had in it at one time was @ the 6 lbs plus the bacon on the top shelf.  I didn't check the temp of the meat a all.  After 8 hrs of cook time, 4 in the BS and 4 in the oven they were so tender that I couldn't even pick them up in one piece.  They just fell apart.  Had to dump them off the foil.  I will have to leave in the smoker longer.  I set my smoker at 195, I have the controller from allied kenco and works very well in keeping temp under control.  I do notice that after initial warm up it takes a long time to come up to a pit temp of 195.  I didn't realize they had different cuts of ribs at Sams.  Going to have to go back and try the loin like jager mentioned.  You say they have baby backs?  What is the emril rub?  Where do you get the sweet baby rays sauce?  Think I might have to try something different over Easter.  I haven't even started my research on birds yet.  They scare me a little - don't want to get anyone sick.  I did buy a big bag of boneless breasts a few weeks ago from sams and may have to give those a try also.  I haven't really tried the ftc deal but I did use the apple juice.  I have a bunch of coolers that schwans delivers their food in if you order off the internet or aren't home when they stop by.  Might have to try using them instead of saving for fish we never catch.
I guess its a learning process - I did learn one thing the last time.  Note to self. you need a bigger glove to pick the bubba puck off the generator element. 

ND Smoker

Quote from: jaeger on April 12, 2006, 09:23:57 PM
Another item low in fat, boneless pork loin. Here again with the pork loin, you could cut the loin in half and use two seasonings/marinades to work out your favorites. Keep us posted on your next smoke.

Any suggestions on what you would use for marinade/seasonings on the loin. 

icerat4

The emrils rub is at domanicks food store and the sweet baby rays should be there too.What town do you live in.I am sorry maybe i didnt read your first post right but 8 hours for 6 pounds of rib is well you found out very fall off the bone nice job.That drip pan must of been full with all that bacon on top. ;D

MallardWacker

NDS,

Do what BigSmoke says, I use to hate spares but I have started using his method, trimmed them down to St' Louis style then after the cook time in the smoker I finish mine on the grill with my choice of sauce.

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

icerat4

For get those spare ribs.Step up into the rolls royce of ribs.The ALMIGHTY Baby backs Ya get what ya pay for in life.Some skimp Others basks We HERE eat baby backs  ;D When possible always but the best cut of meat ya can it make the world of differnce.