COLD SMOKED TUNA LOIN

Started by destrouk, December 11, 2012, 10:57:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

pmmpete;

That book is my favorite food book, and is a great resource, I use it quite a bit.

I'm have problems with my browser, so I didn't go into detail, but if you go back to my post you will see I never mentioned or came to the conclusion that smoke by itself will produce safe fish, and stated it retards growth - not fully prevents it.

What I am pointing out is that it is added protection while your meat is in the danger zone. That is why I mentioned safe handling of the fish, and danger zone in my reply. That is why I suggested to move the fish directly to the cabinet to the smoker and cold smoke no longer then 1.5 hours in the danger zone, at a temperature no higher than 65 which is below room temperature, then immediately wrap and refrigerate.

If you search this forum, you will find many discussions on the antimicrobial properties of smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

destrouk

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

destrouk

im going to do it this weekend and im going to do a simple brine for like 30 mins ..the other im gonna just smoke ..Ill be using Alder for both and will be doing it as a cold smoke .

destrouk

Ok make that this weekend as my smoker was used for many holiday things  :P

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: destrouk on January 04, 2013, 10:53:01 AM
Ok make that this weekend as my smoker was used for many holiday things  :P

I know how that goes. My New Year's ham was finally smoked on the 2nd.  ;D

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Copper Moon

I have cold smoked albacore tuna for a couple of years.  To me it is the bacon of the sea.  I use the same process that I use for my salmon, in fact I brine and smoke them together.  The recipe I use is one that was published on this site by a member called Spy Guy  many years ago.  It was a very detailed description but I don't think it is around anymore.  I shortened up the brining time a bit because I was doing thinner fillets.  The original brining was a 8 hr dry and 8 hr wet I believe.  I then cold smoke with alder for 6-8 hrs ensuing that the temperature stays under 80.  My wife will not let me change my process and I try to avoid sharing the tuna.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Copper Moon;

Welcome to the forum.

Spyguy's recipe can still be found on this forum
Best Smoked Salmon or True Lox

Or over on the recipe site:
The Best Smoked Salmon (lox)

I have made his recipe many times, and it always comes out great.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

destrouk

Well i did the loin I used a simple brine of 4 lts water 1 cup salt 1/2 brown sugar I let it brine for 1 hour then cold smoked it with alder for 1 hour ..I am shocked to say that's all it needed i expected to be smoking it for more than 1 hour but the smoke was just right and not overpowering in anyway ..

destrouk

destrouk

So I took to my fish guy where I buy smoked tuna LOL ...we did a blind taste test  ;D and couldnt pick a winner due to them being that close !

Habanero Smoker

Sounds great. I have to place this on my to do list.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

destrouk

Oh its sooooooooooooooooooooooooo good I will now play with the brine but with that subtle smoke flavor its divine mate !!!!!

Smoker John

That sounds interesting I will have to add it to my "going to try that" list chers
Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712