2nd cold smoke cheese run

Started by Silvergrizz, December 12, 2012, 05:53:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silvergrizz

After readings Hab's advice on allowing cheese to bloom in the smoker after I decided to give it a try. Smoked another batch of Old cheddar and a piece of Parmesan for 2 hours with Apple followed by 1 hour and 45 minute bloom. Temp was down to 26F when I pulled it. Never got above 58F. I didn't think there was much of difference till I took a close look at the two pics. Wrapped and vac sealed and placed in the fridge for future taste test, with an appropriate wine of course.

Cheese going in.

Finished product.

Keymaster

Looks good, At first glance I thought that parmesan was a big hunk of dried bread to absorb moisture while smoking, I might try that next time to keep the sweat down on the cheese. Just an idea :)

Habanero Smoker

I use a higher temperature, and I feel that makes the difference. Use a temperature of 70 - 80°F, avoid anything in the mid 80's, and do not hit 90°F. For smoke, there is a point of diminishing returns the colder the temperature is.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Silvergrizz

Hab, I have been trying to figure out how to maintain that temp range. Smoker is currently remoted via Bradley remote box. With outside temps in the high 20's today, the unit hit 65F. If I move the generator inside the smoker, I am concerned temps will rise to high. Might have to give it a trial run in the morning to get a good indication of how much the smoke generator raises the temp above ambient temp, both inside and outside the smoker. Unless someone has already taken the time to work this out and I haven't found it yet. I want to do your triple smoke on my bacon next week, but I am a bit concerned about maintaining the required temp range over the 3 days.

tskeeter

Grizz, I've seen other smokers report a temperature gain of about 20 degrees F above ambient from the puck burner.  You might use that as a starting reference.  If you have a six rack, I'd think you'd experience less heat gain just due to the larger volume of the cabinet.  A bit of a breeze will help keep your temps down, too.

If you're finding your temp a bit too high, putting a tray of ice cubes in the smoker will help reduce the temperature.

As for me, I'll tuck a couple of my smoking bricks in the freezer the night before I smoke cheese, so they are good and cold and ready to pull the temperature down if I need it.

viper125

Hab I stay under 100 and at least 90 with 1 1/2 -2 hours of smoke. And have no problems of melting or any thing.
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Silvergrizz on December 13, 2012, 03:25:03 PM
Hab, I have been trying to figure out how to maintain that temp range. Smoker is currently remoted via Bradley remote box. With outside temps in the high 20's today, the unit hit 65F. If I move the generator inside the smoker, I am concerned temps will rise to high. Might have to give it a trial run in the morning to get a good indication of how much the smoke generator raises the temp above ambient temp, both inside and outside the smoker. Unless someone has already taken the time to work this out and I haven't found it yet. I want to do your triple smoke on my bacon next week, but I am a bit concerned about maintaining the required temp range over the 3 days.

To keep your cabinet around 80°F, you do need a PID or some other temperature controller. If you don't have a controller, placing the generator in the cabinet, this will raise the cabinet temperature, and probably over 80°F. You will have to monitor it more closely. As mentioned, placing ice, or something else to act as a heat sink during the smoking stage, will keep the temperature below 80°F. You should still try to maintain a temperature close to 80°F.

While blooming, remove the water bowl, ice (or what you have used as a heat sink). For the 2 hours of blooming you will need to monitor the cabinet temperature the whole time. When the heat gets to high, crack the door open, or fully open it if need be, to lower the heat.

As for the triple smoked bacon, if you don't have a temperature controller, you don't have keep the bacon in the cabinet the full time. Though it is better to leave it in the cabinet, at a controlled temperature; after applying smoke you can remove the bacon from your smoker, place on a raised rack and leave it uncovered on the counter at room temperature until it is time to apply the other applications of smoke.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Silvergrizz

I will have to find an alternate cause we have two golden retrievers who would automatically assume it was a game of some kind and they want to win. You should have seem them went they picked up in the scent of fresh salmon air drying on the counter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk