Suncast BMS1500 vertical storage shed?

Started by EMJAY747, December 14, 2012, 08:37:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EMJAY747

Anybody put there Bradley Digital 4-rack smoker in a Suncast BMS1500 vertical storage shed?  If so did you cut your own shelves for the smoker to sit on?  Since the smoker is 14" deep, would a shelf 16" deep fit despite the template in the instructions having 12" deep shelves?

Quarlow

I think this is the same one that several members have. They all seem to be happy with it. I am sure someone with one will chime in soon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

rexster

Got one just like it, works great! I had a small table that I put in mine instead of shelving, but did add a small shelf to hold my Auber PID. Next on my list is cutting a hole in the top and adding a stove pipe to vent the smoke out, otherwise I'll have creosote all inside sooner or later
Stainless 4 rack Bradley
6 Rack DBS w/second heat element
Auber PID
7 Foot X 20" Pipe BBQ pit with offset firebox
Jenn-Air 75000 btu gas grill w/sear burner
Weber Performer charcoal grill
Portable Kitchen All Aluminum Charcoal Grill
2 MES 40" smokers
PK360 Grill
Vacmaster 320 Vacuum Chamber Sealer

EMJAY747

Just based on some of the threads I've searched, the pictures of some of the Suncast storage sheds appear to be the GS1250 model.   I'm just curious if the smoker would fit in the BMS1500 model with shelves.  Suncast instructions have a weird 45 degree notch in the back for the shelving template and only 12" deep (BDS is 14" deep).  Interior specs of the BMS1500 states that it is 20" deep.  So I assume I can deviate from the template and make the shelf 14"-16" deep.  The GS1250 model has a shelving template too, but the instructions are a little vague and they don't say how many shelves it can hold or where (at what height/level) in the shed they would go.

It seems like everyone is just putting an old table in there storage shed versus building the shelves too.

Continued feedback and suggestions are welcome.

viper125

Bradley s and their homes. Now their is a passionate subject that should bring many responses. Also if you search Bradley homes I think there was a post along them lines too! Mines in my garage setup but i have see a lot the way your saying and quite impressive too!
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

squirtthecat

I don't think the BMS1500 will be deep enough.   Just looking at the shelf template leads me to believe the back corners of the bradley would hit those angled braces that you have to screw in..

I've got the GS1250 model like Beefman, and there is plenty of room in it.    I used a salvaged convection oven cabinet from a coworker's kitchen remodel as a 'table'.

[edit]

I stand corrected!

EMJAY747

Update: Went with the BMS1500 and made some custom shelves that are 19" deep to accommodate the BDS's depth (14").  It worked great.  Check it out.

Next up is a chimney out the top to vent the smoke.

viper125

Looks good. Maybe a cold smoke box on lower shelf?
A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

seb bot

Looks like it's pretty happy in its new home! ;D
Are the bricks/stones on the very bottom just for ballast?

I'm probably gonna have to look into something like this soon, getting tired of rolling the smoker outside on a dolly; I cringe over the bumps when I'm moving it! :(

Gotta think it would be better to have a proper home for it somewhere, less wear and tear as well as keep that evil heat-sucking wind out! >:(

The pic makes it look like a tight fit sideways, is it hard to get the unit in and out, or to take the generator off?
Just wondering about cleaning the inside of the SG and such...

beefmann

seb bot, take a look at my link above, it will also give another view and other ideas

EMJAY747

It is a very tight squeeze getting it in, but once it's in, there is a good inch on each side.  The whole thing would have to come out to remove the smoke generator.  I  might be able to rotate to get access, but haven't tried it.

seb bot

Thanks for the reply EMJAY747, and also for pointing out the link beefmann...

Not sure what I'll end up doing, but will have to figure something out; Had a hard time getting smoker above 225 yesterday with a chicken in it, the wind was blowing pretty good... Had my ghetto chimney on, but need something better!

( Or maybe dual element and PID, lol ;) )