Good monring

Started by Maryland Crab, April 14, 2006, 06:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maryland Crab

As I sit here typing, I am seasoning my new BS and the smell is driving me crazy.  Am doing a 7 pound chicken this afternoon.  The temperature here is 65 degrees - any thoughts on how long it will go?

Tomorrow I plan on doing a whole leg of lamb and my wife is doing the happy dance as there will be enough food for the coming week. 

Thanks for the great info on this site and hope all enjoy the coming holiday weekend. 

MC

icerat4

Welcome here Maryland Crab.A temp probe will be your best friend in this case.5-6-7 hours dependons on how high you get the temps in the inside of the box.Use the internal temp gauge this way your safe every way.Lots of good people here and they will be chiming in to give you all the help ya need.Have a nice easter and welcome here and HAPPY SMOKING.I did do some lamb and the internal temps should be 135-140 .AT 2-3 POUNDS will take 1 hour and a half with in the  box temps at 200 -205.Enjoy.There is a very nice book called Smoke & spice pick it up tons of easy stuff to make and alot of info on smoking. ;D

IKnowWood

MC, welcome to the forum.  Another Marylander welcomes you (from easter shore). Its 60 at home and 64 at work right now.  

I have done a 7 lbs bird and how long to get to the right internal temp depends on opening the smoker and cabinet temp.  If you have gotten the ET-73 or some other temp device other than the built in temp, you should shot for a temp of 200 to 210 cabinet for about 4 to 5 hours.  Internal meat temp (I think its 160 now) will take some time.  Be patience.  

Look up the recipe board for some ideas on stuff http://susan.rminor.com/forums/index.php

Let us know how hte Lamb goes, not to many of us have done this product yet.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Maryland Crab

Thanks for the quick replies.  Now if I can just learn how to spell "monring".  I have the Smoke and Spice book and am using their primary rub on the chicken today.  I would also recommend the book Sublime Smoke as a backup. 

I think that I will count on about 7 hours on the chicken as I intend to mop it every two hours.  The lamb leg will be more challenging.  I am going to marinate it overnight with a garlic/rosemary marinade, but don't want TOOO much smokiness as lamb by itself is awesome.  Will let you all know how things go and will share some recipes down the road.  I have been smoking for four years, but don't have the time or knowledge to really get into the wild game etc.  Ribs, briskets, poultry and store bought meat so far for me.  I am dying to try some cheeses and nuts, but that will wait for another day. 

Hmmm, how about some nice Maryland blue crabs????  I do have the best crabcake recipe of all time if anyone cares to know it sometime.

MC

icerat4

My rack of lamb and lamp chops ive done with the S&S books recipe Chicago Greek style were GREAT no problems I even used the devils wood LOL. ;D Sure I love crab cakes. ;D

IKnowWood

MC

NP,   Make sure you keep an eye on that internal temperature on the chicken.  Also be careful on mopping to not get liquid ruynning on the inside as it could short out the slide control board.

When I mop, I pull the item out and place a pan underneath so the drips from mopping fall there, and not inside.

But since you are mopping. it will take a lot longer.  I suggest not to mop to much.  The chicken will be very moist as it is.  Each time you open the box to mop, you loss heat and it takes a real long time to recover.  Keep an eye on the internals, and don't be to shocked if you are cooking for a real long time.

I did a chicken a couple weeks ago and it was intensly juicing when we were pulling it.  And I did not mop once.

How much smoke and what type are you planning to use?

That lamb sounds good.    There are some good peices at ACME.. hmmm...
And Crab Cakes.....  Ahh yeah!
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

Welcome MC;

I haven't mopped using the BS. One thing about the internal temperature of chicken, monitor the temperature at the thickes part of the thigh. If you pull it at 160, monitor the internal temperature to make sure it get to at least 165, or you may find the dark meat a little tough.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Maryland Crab

Thanks all.  I always use an Taylor instant read to make sure that I don't end up in the hospital with some dread disease.  I will back off the mopping and only mop once after three hours.  I like the flavor it adds, but will certainly remove the whole rack before doing it.  If I shorted this thing out on its very first use, the boss would have my head.

I keep a journal on all smoking adventures as far as ambient temperatures, size of food, type of rub etc and have found that most helpful.  At my advanced age I am lucky if I can find my smoker.  I am using one half hickory and one half Bradleys special briquettes.  The rub is Wild Willy's Wonderful out of Smoke and Spice.  I do cut back somewhat on the black pepper cayenne in honor of my wife. 

The mop is a base of Bull's Eye (much better than Masterpiece, IMO) with some added sauces from Stubb's or other various higher end sauces.  I also add a touch of liquid smoke and some heat (like Ralph's) and off we go.  Some slaw and a few Sierra Nevada's and life does just not get much better.

Thanks for all the suggestions and I will certainly try to add some value going forward.  I normally smoke every weekend in the summer.  My old smoker would not get up enough heat to to use year around, hence the new BS. 

MC

begolf25

Maryland Crab,

Welcome to the forum.  If there is anything you need to know about the Bradley all you have to do is ask and these guys will have your question answered in no time.

My wife just picked up a pound of lump backfin this week and i was going to make some crab cakes so I sure would like to hear this recipe you have.  I am always up for trying something new.

What part of MD are ya from?

Bryan

Kummok

Welcome to the forum Maryland Crab! From the sounds of your post, we should be changing your title from "Newbie" to "Pro"!!

Begolf25....what the heck is a "lump backfin"?? ??? Haven't heard that one before....sounds like a Right Coast species but heck, we might even have them up here and call them something else?!?!?  ;)

Maryland Crab

Lump backfin refers to the sweetest part of the meat from the sweetest food on earth - that being the Maryland Blue Crab.  I am from Silver Spring - have lived here since 1967.  The body is ready to retire but the wallet isn't.  No time for the crab cake recipe right now but will get it done tonight or tomorrow morning.  It is taken from Cook's magazine and I have served it to a restaurant owner who asked for the recipe and is still using it today, as far as I know. 

Chicken is smoking beautifully - am getting ready to do my one and only mop, so here's hoping.  I have kept the temperature right around 210 degrees and this is something I could never do with my old smoker.  I am one happy camper.  More later.

MC

Arcs_n_Sparks

MC,

Welcome to the forum. Lots of good advice here, and it sounds like you are out of the starting blocks fast with the Bradley. 8)

Looking forward to your contributions...

Arcs_n_Sparks

Maryland Crab

I guess that I had better put the crabcake recipe over in the recipe files.  Don't want to upset anyone this early in the game. 

Give me fifteeen minutes and it shall be done.

MC

Maryland Crab

Okay - the crabcake recipe is ready and waiting in the non-smoked recipe area.  Let me know if anyone tries it and suggestions/opinions are always welcome.  Time to check the chicken as I sure don't want to oversmoke it.  Later.

MC

Kummok

Quote from: Maryland Crab on April 14, 2006, 12:24:14 PM
....I am from Silver Spring - have lived here since 1967......

You're from the only name in Maryland that I can remember being in (back in 1970 when I drove USCG security boat for the Prez). I vaguely recall blue crab, but don't remember eating any....sounds like I really missed the boat! :'(   ThanX for your recipe....I'l just have to give it a try on some of our nasty ol' Alaskan King crab.. ;) :)