New Garage Setup complete

Started by STLstyle, December 17, 2012, 03:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

STLstyle

This is a pic of my new setup in the detach garage.

Thanks to Mr. Walleye and others for the design.  I found an old thread and copied it down to the exact hood I think!  Not the first idea I took from this site! ;D

This will set me up for the winter!  I did a test smoke yesterday and it worked great. Keep on smokin!!!!!!!

DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

wipf9994

ive had mine set up like that for a while n it works great

beefmann

classicrockgriller

squirtthecat

Keymaster

mikecorn.1

Looks good!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

Mr Walleye

Lookin" good STLstyle!  ;)  :D

Make sure you keep things clean for safety. Keep meats from touching the walls especially the back wall as grease can run down the wall. Also make sure the water bowl doesn't run dry while the smoke generator is running.

I've had mine setup this way for years now and it has worked flawlessly by following simple safety precautions.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

STLstyle

Will do thx again!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

BrianC

Very nice!  Ty for posting this. I was wondering how I was going to set my smoker up in the garage! Now I know.   

GusRobin

Unless it is outside the pictures, you are missing one thing ----a fire extinguisher.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

charlesk

one question I have is how high have you got the range hood above the smoker
I have a monkeyed around with a couple of homemade shrouds and inline fans (80cfm) which appears to be to little to remove all the smoke
I have a 180 cfm range hood but thought that it might be to strong and suck the heat and smoke out too
If they work that good can you still keep a good smoker temp while getting rid of the smoke
any help is appreciated cause the wife can"t stand the smell of smoke in our attached garage were the smoker is
so I need something to remove all the smoke and all the help I can get

Thanks
Charlie
4 Rack DBS, dual element mod, Auber single probe PID, Maverick temp probe

STLstyle

Charlie,

This setup works great for me.  The range sits at least 12'' above the smoker.   Probably more like 15''.
Mr. Walleye originally had this setup.  You can look up the thread.  You can always run a 6'' PVC pipe to close the gap if too far away and smoke is getting in the garage.  I wouldn't go much closer than 12''.  My hood is a max 260cbm fan so I think you are ok there.  I have dual elements though.  Mine keeps up fine with the heat.  Just dropped an 11lb brisket in tonight and was back up to temp in less than 20 min.  Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

devo

Just wondering if anybody has checked with their insurance company about having a outdoor smoker inside a garage? Do you need to add that to your policy?

STLstyle

Just measured top of smoker to fan.  It's actually 10'' vs.  12"-15" as previously stated.

Not sure on insurance, but I would guess it would be like deep frying a turkey and setting your house on fire that way right?  I think those folks are covered...

Now I'm nervous, but I'm not really sure how to pose the question to my insurance agent. :)

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod