Spice up my Ham.

Started by Scotty Dog, December 19, 2012, 10:13:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scotty Dog

I purchased a Shank Half Ham at Safeway for $0.99 per pound.  It was hard to walk away from the temptation to try for the price.  This is their Safeway Brand ham that is cured and smoked already.  I'm looking for feedback on how to kick this cheap trick into overdrive.  I was going to cold smoke it an extra three hours with Apple wood on the lower rack with a batch of cheese on the upper racks and then wrap and refrigerate for an extra two days for the smoke to penetrate more.   I was then going to cook and glaze it with a Cherry Pomegranate Habanero Sauce in the oven the day I plan on serving it.  If anyone has advice or feedback on my plan please respond.  Because the ham is already cured and smoked, do I need to be concerned about cold smoking for 3 hours at 60* - 80* and returning it to the refrigerator?  When glazing a ham do you baste the meat from beginning to end of the 4 hour recommended cook time at 325*?  Should I hot smoke it instead and glaze in the Bradley the day I wish to serve it?

Ka Honu

I usually do it all on the same day - trim the skin and fat and hot smoke for 4 hours, then foil (to prevent drying out) and continue to 140o IT.  Comes out perfect every time - tasty, smoky, moist.  We're not glazers (although for guests we serve a choice of sauces on the side) so I'll leave that part for someone else.

Habanero Smoker

If you look toward the end of my Smoked Cured Ham Recipe, those directions are the way I reheat and glaze.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)