Scotch Eggs

Started by zueth, December 19, 2012, 02:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zueth

I would like to make Scotch eggs in the Bradley.  So what I am thinking is hard boil six eggs wrap them the outside of the eggs with sausage and smoke for 2 hours @ 220.  Sound like a good plan?

Mr Walleye

Quote from: zueth on December 19, 2012, 02:49:32 PM
I would like to make Scotch eggs in the Bradley.  So what I am thinking is hard boil six eggs wrap them the outside of the eggs with sausage and smoke for 2 hours @ 220.  Sound like a good plan?

Zueth

Sounds like a solid plan except I would peel the eggs first.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I recently made these for a heritage theme party. I used a breakfast style recipe I've been playing with, with a couple additions. If your interested I can post the recipe.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

muebe

Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

mikecorn.1

Awwwww yeah! That's sounds like a plan and half.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

zueth

Quote from: Mr Walleye on December 19, 2012, 04:38:56 PM
Quote from: zueth on December 19, 2012, 02:49:32 PM

Zueth

Sounds like a solid plan except I would peel the eggs first.  ;D  ;D  ;D

I recently made these for a heritage theme party. I used a breakfast style recipe I've been playing with, with a couple additions. If your interested I can post the recipe.

Mike

Please do, thanks.

Habanero Smoker

You should definitely use Mike's sausage recipe for Scotch Eggs.

I don't have to worry about peeling my eggs. I'm kind of lazy, and purchase my hard boiled eggs already peeled and packaged. It's a big time saver when you make a lot of Scotch eggs, deviled eggs, pickled eggs etc. Of course you have to pay for the convenience.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr Walleye

Zueth

Here is my recipe for Scotch Eggs. I think I will try the recipe for Breakfast sausage, it was real good. I made 4 lbs and doing a dozen eggs I probably had about 1 lb or a little better left over so I made some sausage patties with the left overs. This is a mixture of a few recipes I have found on line.

Scotch Eggs

3 lbs 80/20 pork
1 lb lean beef

Cure #1 - .8 tsp
Salt - 5 tsp.
Course Pepper - 2 tsp.
Sage - 2 tsp. (I didn't have any rubbed so I used ground Sage and it was fine)
Nutmeg - 1/2 tsp.
Ginger - 1 tsp.
Thyme - 1 tsp.
Cayenne pepper - 1 tsp.
Water - 5 ozs.
Parmesan Cheese - 3/4 cup. (I used pregrated)

I mixed everything except the Parmesan cheese until well blended, then mixed the cheese in.
I did these in my big sausage smoker. I applied about 1.5 hours of hickory smoke. Started at 180 degrees for the first 1 hour, then cranked it up to 240 until they had nice color and were at approximately 155 to 160 degrees.

Sauce

Mayo - 1/2 cup
Grainy Mustard - 4 Tbs
Juice of 1/2 Lemon

Mix everything and put in fridge until ready for use. I did adjust it a little to my taste. I initially had a little too much lemon juice so I added a little white sugar and additional mustard.

I then sliced them lengthways. Hit them with a little salt and fresh cracked pepper then drizzled a tbs of sauce over them.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

STLstyle

I need to see pics of this!  Sounds awesome...

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

zueth

Quote from: muebe on December 19, 2012, 05:40:36 PM
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21516.msg261957#msg261957

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=21945.msg266131#msg266131

Thanks Muebe, sounds like I was a little off on time.  Need to plan on 4 hours to cook not 2 hours.  Thoughts on how to reheat, just wrap in foil and heat in a 300 degree oven for a hour or until IT of 145?

muebe

Zeuth mine were wrapped pretty thick with sausage hence the longer smoke time.

I can't remember how long I smoked the eggs... Maybe an hour or two. I believe I cold smoked the eggs while smoking cheese. Then two hours smoke for the sausage. And 4 hours total at 225F.
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)