Christmas ham

Started by amatasjr, December 20, 2012, 10:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amatasjr

Alright, I'm still new to the Bradley family. I've smoked ribs and pork shoulder a few times with pretty good results. Of course, the results are credited to a lot of helpful users on this site. Thanks fellas!  I just bought a whole, fully cooked, , water added, 16lb farmer John ham. Looking to smoke it for the family on Christmas Eve. Where do I go from here?  I've found a few recipes on this site as well as a newly added one on Bradley's website. Any suggestions?  Thanks

Tenpoint5

Try the tshirt ham recipe on the recipe site
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

amatasjr

Hey tenpoint, I noticed that at the end of the recipe it says to take the ham to an IT of 170-180. If the ham is already fully cooked to an IT 150, won't this dry out the ham? 

Habanero Smoker

Those temperatures were based on the USDA's previous recommendation for pork. If the ham is cured and fully cooked, you only need to bring the internal temperature to 140°F.

I have tried the T-shirt method, and it works well. What I did was purchase a few yards of 100% cotton jersey cloth. When I'm finished I just throw the used cloth away.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

devo

140 degrees F - for 12 minutes.  hehehe  don't forget that part

amatasjr

You guys are the kings!  Thank you. Quick question, once it reaches 140, cook it for 12 minutes?  Also, found a maple glaze with bourbon an Dijon. Sound alright? Merry Christmas

Habanero Smoker

The glaze sounds good.

When reheating whole fully cooked cured hams, the extra 12 minutes in not necessary, but wouldn't hurt. It will probably stay at 140°F or above for over 12 minutes, while it is resting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

pensrock

Habs, can you remind me of your ham glaze recipe? I'm pretty sure I made it before and loved it but can't find it now. I just picked up a small  ham to make for xmas and would like a glaze to put on it. Thanks.

devo

He has this one on the recipe site. Is this the one?

Glaze Ingredients: Glaze and roasting recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated for the Bradley Smoker.
3/4 C. Maple Powder Sugar
3/4 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar, or 1 cup if you are not using the Maple sugar
1/3 C Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Whole Grain Mustard

Remove the ham from the refrigerator, and line a 9x13 roasting pan with a double layer of aluminum foil long enough to wrap the ham in. Make the glaze by combining all ingredients and whisking together. Place ham in pan, and liberally brush with glaze. Wrap tightly in foil, and let sit at room temperature for 1.5 hours.

Adjust oven rack to the lowest level, and preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Bake until the internal temperature is 100 degrees F. This will take about 2-3 hours; calculate about 17 minutes per pound.

Remove ham from oven. Cut off and remove the foil to expose ham; leaving only the foil that lines the pan. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F. Brush ham liberally with glaze and return to oven.
If you do not cut off the foil, any glaze that is stuck to the foil will smoke up your kitchen once the oven temperature is increased to 450 degrees F.
After 15 minutes, apply another liberal coat of glaze and bake for another 20 - 40 minutes; until glaze becomes a golden brown and sticky. Remove ham from oven, apply another liberal coat of glaze and loosely foil. Allow to rest 30-40 minutes before carving. During resting time, you can baste the ham with its juices once or twice.

Slice and serve. You can heat any remaining glaze to be used at the table.

Habanero Smoker

Devo has set you straight. I love this glaze, and make a little extra to make sure I have some at the table.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

devo

Just happened to be doing the very same for my ham this Christmas. Thanks Hab's

Habanero Smoker

Your ham looks good. Did you bone it, or leave the bone in?

I'm about ready to start curing one this Sunday for New Years Day. I have a whole ham, and haven't decided whether to bone it, cook in whole, or divide it into two hams. I'm cutting it really close, so I'm hoping the weather will cooperate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Ka Honu

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 21, 2012, 01:51:50 PM...haven't decided whether to bone it, cook in whole, or divide it into two hams.

Easy decision:  Divide it in two and send me half.

devo

No bone Hab's. I started this Dec 2nd and let go 17 days in the cure only because I just had to much on my plate this month. My son's grandfather (wife's side) passed away so I had to tend to other things and just no time. So yesterday I did the smoking part and it is now in the fridge wrapped up in plastic wrap and tin foil till Christmas Day when it will get your glaze and reheated for Christmas dinner.
After it dried in the fridge over night from the brine.

And getting 4 hours of hickory smoke

And after IT hit 148°

Sorry didn't mean to hijack this thread  ;)

pensrock

yep, thats it, Thank You.