Christmas ham

Started by amatasjr, December 20, 2012, 10:57:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amatasjr

Damn, that ham looks awesome Devo. With a fully cooked ham, can I get away with habs recipe?  Oven at 300 bake until IT of 100, them crank it to 450 and follow the rest?  It won't dry out?

Habanero Smoker

Devo;

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Quote from: Ka Honu on December 21, 2012, 02:13:01 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 21, 2012, 01:51:50 PM...haven't decided whether to bone it, cook in whole, or divide it into two hams.

Easy decision:  Divide it in two and send me half.

If you were in the Continental U.S., I would be happy to ship you half.  :) Though at this time I'm leaning toward curing it whole first then bone it out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SiFumar

Quote from: devo on December 21, 2012, 01:24:08 PM
He has this one on the recipe site. Is this the one?

Glaze Ingredients: Glaze and roasting recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated for the Bradley Smoker.
3/4 C. Maple Powder Sugar
3/4 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar, or 1 cup if you are not using the Maple sugar
1/3 C Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Whole Grain Mustard

What is Maple Powder Sugar? And where would you get it?  Thanks! Recipe sounds really good!

Habanero Smoker

Maple Sugar Powder is maple syrup evaporated down to produce sugar. The easiest place to fine Maple Sugar Powder (Maple Sugar Granules will also work), is the internet. I live in Maple Syrup Country, so I buy it at farmer's markets, specialty stores, or health food stores.

Here is one online store that sells Maple Sugar. I'm sure if you search you can find better deals.

Over the past few years the price has sky rocketed, due to low sap runs. If you see a price that looks to good to be true, look at the label closely; it is probably cut with brown sugar. If I'm recalling correctly, 1 pound of maple sugar will make 3 pounds of maple syrup, or about 3 pints.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: SiFumar on December 22, 2012, 11:31:21 PM
Quote from: devo on December 21, 2012, 01:24:08 PM
He has this one on the recipe site. Is this the one?

Glaze Ingredients: Glaze and roasting recipe adapted from Cook's Illustrated for the Bradley Smoker.
3/4 C. Maple Powder Sugar
3/4 C. Pineapple Juice
1/4 C. Brown Sugar, or 1 cup if you are not using the Maple sugar
1/3 C Dijon Mustard
1/4 C. Whole Grain Mustard

What is Maple Powder Sugar? And where would you get it?  Thanks! Recipe sounds really good!

Sandy I get my Maple Powder from www.targil.com it's a little cheaper than then where Habs gets his. They don't have a high tech website. So I find it easier to pick up the phone and call my order in to them.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

SiFumar

Thanks Hab's and 10.5!  I must of had a brain toot last night(after looking at Keymasters's pinto stock  ;D )  I kept thinking of something like white confectioners sugar and my little brain couldn't wrap around what I was reading.  I know it was discussed before too!  Thanks again!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on December 23, 2012, 07:21:20 AM

Sandy I get my Maple Powder from www.targil.com it's a little cheaper than then where Habs gets his.

I get mine from local farmer's markets, local specialty stores, and local health food store. The price is much cheaper then the website I provided the link for.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

SiFumar

NP...I appreciate y'all filling my dense brain in!