First Prime Rib

Started by D.D., December 23, 2012, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.D.

I,m gonna try a Prime Rib 4 christmas dinner. Here iz the question.  The rib is about 7lb, Missouri is going to have a high temp outside of 20. Do i need to plan for some additional cook time in the bradly????

KyNola

Cold air temp is not as big a problem as wind.  Is it going to be windy along with that cold air temp?  Wind will blow across the vent and suck the heat right out of your Bradley.  That said, it will take longer for your Bradley to come up to temp simply because the temp in the cabinet is colder than if it were 80 degrees outside.

One alternative you can do is to smoke it in the Bradley and when the smoke period is over, transfer the Prime Rib to your house oven set at whatever temp you were going to cook it at in your Bradley.

D.D.

Thankzzzzz, I hope it will be 2 cold for the wind to blow!!!

TedEbear

Quote from: D.D. on December 23, 2012, 04:28:30 PMMissouri is going to have a high temp outside of 20. Do i need to plan for some additional cook time in the bradly????

I guess it depends on what part of Missouri you're in.  In St. Louis the high on Christmas Day will be 38.

Anyway, I've read and seen pics where people have wrapped insulation around their smoker for a thermal blanket.  They say it helps when smoking when it's really cold.

watchdog56

Surprisingly prime rib goes real fast. I did a 4 lber yesterday here in Minnesota with an outside temp of 16 and it only took a little over 2 hours. Had to wrap in foil for 2 hours(plan was 1 hour)  then put under broiler for 10 minutes to crisp up. I am guessing a 7lber would only take about 4 hours but use a temp prob to get IT to 130 for medium to medium rare.