Cooking after smoking complete?

Started by smokernp, December 25, 2012, 07:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokernp

Hello everyone, I'm brand new to smoking and have read a good deal on the forum already but I do have a quick question.   Once I have smoked for the desired time and I want to continue to cook in the smoker, does the briquette burner continue to stay on as well as the heating element and if it does stay on is there any harm in doing this?

Thanks

KyNola

It won't hurt for the puck burner to stay on and it adds a bit more heat in the tower along with the heating element.

viper125

If its pretty cold out i leave it on. If warm out i usually turn it off. No right no wrong i other then wearing out sooner maybe cant see it hurts any thing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

OU812

If you shut the generator off you might have to raise the temp on the tower a bit to cover for the heat lost from the generator

If you leave it on make sure you push the last puct off the burner so it dont turn to ash

Unless you have 3 Bubba pucks then disregard my last statement  ;D
http://www.yardandpool.com/Bubba-Pucks-Bradley-Smoker-Woodsaver-p/bubbapuck-p.htm?1=1&CartID=0

beefmann

welcome to the forum, leaving the smoke generator on helps keep the box up to temp

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum! Ditto on the above statements.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

smokernp

Thanks for the replies.  I'm not even sure how to turn off the smoker element and leave the cooking element on, but considering it is cold with about a foot of snow on the ground I'll leave both on and figure it out when its warm out.  Going to try my first pork butt tomorrow, have it rubbed down and waiting for the smoker!

Thanks,  smokernp

jdhunt0

Ran mine for the first time tonight.  I'm not sure you can turn the smoke generator off and leave the heating element on.  I'm tying it now.

BTW, just got mine on the big brown truck, set it up, and started to season it.  Can't help but smile and think about the 3 slabs of ribs going on in the morning.

smokernp

I don't think there is a way to turn off the smoker element and leave on the cooking element, but from the sounds of it, it doesn't hurt to leave it on.  My pork butts came out amazing.  There is a bunch of great info on this forum you can pick up from all the old posts.  I seasoned mine the minute I got it out of the box. 

smokernp

GusRobin

I believe the on off switch on the SG turns the SG on and off. The element remains on.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Grouperman941

On the new OBS, the element won't go on unless the burner is on.
I just spent $12 K on this Honda Accord! Why can't it tow my boat?!?