How to keep temperature down for cold smoking

Started by Phoenixworld, December 25, 2012, 11:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoenixworld

Hi all

Merry Christmas from downunder everyone :)

Boxing Day and I'm sitting here under a fan, 40 deg c outside and another week to go at this temp!

My mind wanders to keeping the temp low for cold smoking (not that I'd even be trying when it's this hot!). However, here in Perth WA, keeping a cold smoke under 85F is impossible for most of the year:)

I'd like opinions on what I've tried so far:

I filled a couple of 3ltr plastic juice bottles with water, squashed them a bit to stop them bursting, and put them in the freezer until solid.

So, to keep that temperature down, I put a baking tray on the top shelf and put the frozen bottles on it when I started the smoker.

They kept the temperature down around 60F until they melted. Interestingly, little smoke escaped out of the top, with most escaping out through the gap where the smoke unit joins the smoker. I guess the smoke headed north but gave up when it got too cold!

So, that's what I tried! Anyone see any problems with that plan?

Thanks

Philip

RedJada

Hi Phoenixworld, I'm new to the Bradley my self. In those temps its going to be tough. But what I did when I did some cheese is put a 10lb block of ice on the bottom rack. But then again, it was only 35 degrees F outside. I see you put the ice bottles on the top shelf. You might want to try the bottom shelf, remember heat raises. I'm no pro, but hope this helps. I sure someone else will have better suggestions.

Ka Honu

I half fill a foil roasting plan with ice cubes and put it on the V-tray or bottom shelf.  Granted it's only about 85oF/30oC when I do it, but I always have ice leftover after a two hour smoke.

KyNola

The reason you had smoke backing up into your generator is because those frozen bottle of water blocked the draft and caused the smoke to seek another way out.  The cold air at the top would also hinder the smoke in rising.  Also, was your vent opened all the way?  If not, there is another part of your problem.  Smoke backing up into your generator will destroy it.  Place your cooling agents lower in the tower and if possible on either or both sides of a rack or tray to leave the center of the tower unimpeded from top to bottom.

smoker pete

I just use the Cold Smoke Adapter, vent wide open, and a tray of ice at the bottom.  Works for me ...  :)

Click the Smokin Pig to visit Smokin' Pete's BBQ Bl

buttburner

I made my own cold smoke adaptor

I went to HD and got a piece of duct tubing the same diameter as the inside of the hole in the box that the smoke gen fits into

I used about a 10" section of this pipe.

Removed the smoke generator and put the section of duct between the smoke gen and the box, cut the duct so it would fit tight over the shelf of the generator and butted up to the body of the generator cabinet

Supported the gen with bricks so it was level with the hole in the box, connected the box to the gen with the duct pipe.

Start cold smoking.

KyNola

And where do those hot smoldering pucks go? :o

Ka Honu

Habanero Smoker

If the duct tubing is not drawing enough smoke to the Bradley cabinet, you can make a cardboard cold smoke setup very quickly. It is safe, and I have used this setup many times:

Cold Smoke Setup

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

buttburner

Quote from: KyNola on December 26, 2012, 04:06:01 PM
And where do those hot smoldering pucks go? :o

I put the water pan on the table next to the generator, where it would be located in the box. I cut the tube so the bottom was cut off allowing the pucks to drop into the pan

sorry forgot to mention that part as its been years since I did this. I use a different method now

I still have the pipe, I will take a pic of the setup

KyNola

Quote from: buttburner on December 27, 2012, 04:53:48 AM
I put the water pan on the table next to the generator, where it would be located in the box. I cut the tube so the bottom was cut off allowing the pucks to drop into the pan
sorry forgot to mention that part as its been years since I did this. I use a different method now
AH!  That makes more sense.  Thanks for clarifying.

buttburner

Quote from: KyNola on December 27, 2012, 06:52:15 AM
Quote from: buttburner on December 27, 2012, 04:53:48 AM
AH!  That makes more sense.  Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah, that would have been a problem LOL

The tube got put the in trash, its gone. I have been cleaning out the garage during the Christmas break so no pic of it, sorry.

callatis

Quote from: buttburner on December 26, 2012, 03:33:56 PM
I made my own cold smoke adaptor
Hi Buttburner,
can you post some pics, please?
Thanks a lot!

KyNola

buttburner is no longer a member of the forum and you're replying to a 5 year old thread.