About to buy first smoker

Started by jdhunt0, December 27, 2012, 08:24:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdhunt0

I've been wanting to get a smoker for a while now.  I like the idea of a wood heated one, but I have used a friends in the past and it is an all day event to babysit his smoker while it cooks.  The electric smokers seem to be more trouble free and that means I will use it much more.

At first I was drawn to the Digital 4, but with the price on the Original from Cabela's I don't think I can pass it up.  I can add the PID later if needed.  I have seen people comment the digital smoker has temp swings of up to 20 deg I think, how bad is the original?

Silvergrizz

If you are considering a PID in the future, I think the original will do the job very nicely. Both digital and non digital are subject to the same degree of temp swings from what I have read. I just purchased a digital about 2 months ago, but just purchased a dual pid for better control doing smoked salmon. Temp swings not as critical for normal beef and pork recipes from what I understand. Had I known at the start, I would have gone with the original. A lot of great people much more versed than me can provide you more information based on experience. Mine is primarily from reading at this point. Enjoy and welcome

Grizz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

STLstyle

I think that's a great plan.  At the cabelas price you could add a PID later if you want an still be under the digital price point and have tighter temp control.

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

beefmann

i have the original 4 rack have had it for 8 years now and really  enjoy it, though over the years i have done a few mods to it , still a good unit and im sure you  will enjoy a 4 rack none the less

viper125

Other than a bigger cabinet i see no advantage to the digital. Still needs a pid to hold temps. I ordered the 4 rack and pid at the same time. Because i do alot of sausages like trail bologna and salami and things. And in my opinion the swing is way to much for what i need. Thats the reason i sold the propane and bought the bradley. Ive also bought more racks so i can have as many as 12 fore some things. I added my maverick 732 and those three things makes my life a lot easier.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

A few pics from smokes....
http://photobucket.com/smokinpics
Inside setup.

jdhunt0

I saw in Bradley's Facebook page they were going to have a sale, so I waited to see what it was going to be before I ordered.  It was not on the smokers so I just placed my order with Cabelas.  I found a code for another $20 off.  I can't wait for it to get here.  What are some recommended items to try smoking first?  What pucks should I get?

STLstyle

IMO Pork butt or spare ribs.  Hickory an apple...  Little whiskey oak maybe?  All personal preference...

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

mikecorn.1

Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

beefmann

first smoke recommendations ribs, pork, tri tip 

Ketch22

jdhunt0

Picked up some hickory pucks this weekend along with a Maverick ET-732.  I have a 1/4 of a steer I bought that should be ready any day now.  I wish Cabelas would get my smoker shipped.

Grassman

Welcome - I have the same unit - got it for Christmas and just love it!
BTIS1
Dual Element Mod
Auber Dual Probe
Maverick ET-732

jdhunt0

Can't wait to put some ribs on in the morning.

Bambooman36

hows it going guys sorry don't mind me I'm newbie on here didn't mean to jump into the conversation i got lost trying to figure out how to post but i have a quick question i was gonna order OBS myself again dont mind if this is a dumb question but i notice there were 2 OBS one had a smoke design on the front door while the other was just plain black which when would be best to buy? any help is greatly appreciated