Brisket Help

Started by andyev, December 27, 2012, 09:16:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

andyev

OK, I haven't done a brisket in a while really because I have always ended up with a dried out brisket.  The flavor is great but it was never juicy the way I like it.  Here is what I'm doing:

I have a 9 lb packer brisket that I'm going to rub today. 
I am also going to try to inject it with beef broth this time so I can add some juice to the meat. 
I'm also going to have a dripping pan on the rack below the brisket with some apple juice in it.

I'm planning on eating at 7:30 tomorrow night and I'm trying to figure out what time to put the brisket in the smoker.  I am thinking of setting the smoker to 190 degrees starting it at midnight and then raising the smoker to 220 when I get up in the morning to slow down the cooking process.  I haven't decided if I'll do the Texas crutch or not but from a timing standpoint, I don't think I need to as I will have 19 hours for the meat to get up to temp.

Thoughts?

STLstyle

I like your plan.  I too have had trouble reaching desired results with brisket.  Please take picks!  I plan to cook a packer this weekend.  Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod
BBQ Guru DigiQ / Raptor Combo

beefmann

sounds like you have a good plan, might also  consider apple juice, or some other flavored type of liquid as well. heard some even brine a brisket

devo

I have never had much luck with a brisket myself. Must be the cut of meat or just to dumb to get it right. I will not spend that much money on a good cut of meat just to screw it up in my bradley.
looking forward to your success and any ideas how to get there.  ;)

buttburner

when I do a brisket, I dont use the water pan but use a foil pan that fits on the bottom, they make a size that fits perfectly

fill that with water, then would top it off every so often as it got low

I think the last one I did took 17 hrs, I also FTC'd it when it was done and waiting for dinner.

When I stuck it with a probe to see if it was done, it was like sticking a toothpick into warm bread.

I knew I was in business at that point!!!

I think the large foil pan really helps for long smokes like this!!!

STLstyle

Buttburner.  What temp disk you pull that bad boy at?

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

buttburner

185f

I will also mop it a few times, dont really know if that helps or not but it makes me feel good!!!

andyev

So I put it on at midnight last night and it's still going.  Internal temp is at 157 so I think it's taking its time to be ready this afternoon for dinner.  Fingers crossed it will turn out juicy this time.

I did forget to take pictures last night.  That's what a midnight start will do and having drinks with the Mrs beforehand.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and assurances.

STLstyle

Sounds like things are going well.  Take some money shot pics for us!  Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

Sailor

andyev, I just saw the post so I am a late to offer any advise.  But perhaps this will help for the next time.  Set the cabinet temp at 225.  It will seem like forever for the cabinet temp to get back to 225 after putting the meat in but it will get there after many hrs.  The meat is a heat sink.  Plan on at least 1.5 hrs per pound of brisket.  If you want to eat at 7:30 then you have at least 13.5 hours at a min of cooking.  You have 2 hrs of FTC which is very important to getting a moist and not dry brisket.  This is the most important part of getting a good brisket.  So you now have at least 15.5 hours.  I figure at least another 2 to 3 hrs to be on the safe side so you are looking at 16 to 18 hrs of cook and FTC time.  With that in mind if you want to eat at 7:30pm you need to start it at least by 4:30pm.  Yeah I know.  Seems like a long time but it is going to take awhile to cook.  Also if you are using a drip pan between the element and the meat you need to add more time because the drip pan is going to suck the heat before it gets to the meat.  That is from experience regarding the drip pan.  If you want to catch the drippings then get a bigger foil pan that will fit below the V-Tray. 

Hope your brisket came out good.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

STLstyle

Sailor,  drip pan below the v tray is this correct?  Where do you put the water/beer/apple juice moisture pan then?

Sent from my iPhone
DBS 6 Rack
Dual 500W Element Mod

Sailor

Quote from: STLstyle on December 28, 2012, 04:47:37 PM
Sailor,  drip pan below the v tray is this correct?  Where do you put the water/beer/apple juice moisture pan then?

Sent from my iPhone
After the smoke I take the bowl out.  Then I put a large foil pan under the v-tray to catch the drippings.  I have put the foil pan on the bottom rack and found that it sinks way too much heat from the meat.  Not saying this is the right way, just saying that is how I do it.

Enough ain't enough and too much is just about right.

andyev

Yeah, so it didn't turn out the way I had hoped.  There are a few things that factored into that.  I was checking it every 30 minutes or so with the temp on my controller and when I checked it yesterday afternoon, I noticed the temp of the smoker was 135.  Turns out the heating element burned out on me during the cook.  The internal temp of the brisket was 175 so I figured it was close enough and I wrapped it in foil and a towel for 1 1/2 hours.  In hindsight, I should have put it in the oven for a couple more hours to get it more tender as it just wasn't there.  The flavor was good but the meat was still tough.

Also, I did have the drip pan between the heat and the meat which I think slowed down the process. 

The positive is the flavor was good so I got the ok to try again and see if I can perfect this.

thanks everyone for the advice.