Good monring

Started by Maryland Crab, April 14, 2006, 06:52:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigSmoker

Quote from: Kummok on April 14, 2006, 03:56:37 PM
Quote from: Maryland Crab on April 14, 2006, 12:24:14 PM
....I am from Silver Spring - have lived here since 1967......

You're from the only name in Maryland that I can remember being in (back in 1970 when I drove USCG security boat for the Prez). I vaguely recall blue crab, but don't remember eating any....sounds like I really missed the boat! :'(   ThanX for your recipe....I'l just have to give it a try on some of our nasty ol' Alaskan King crab.. ;) :)

Rub it in why don't ya ;D.

Welcome crab man
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.

IKnowWood

MC

I work only a few miles from there in Greenbelt Md, My wife used to live in Silver Spring but now we live in Centreville on the Eastern Shore and enjoy all the great places to eat.  Me, being from New Mexico am not crazy about pickign crabs, but the lumpfin is good in lots of stuff. My fav is lumpfin in a Pasta Dish with lumb of gold with a Lobster cream sauce.  Yum!

Welcome.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

begolf25

Quote from: Maryland Crab on April 14, 2006, 12:24:14 PM
Lump backfin refers to the sweetest part of the meat from the sweetest food on earth - that being the Maryland Blue Crab.  I am from Silver Spring - have lived here since 1967.  The body is ready to retire but the wallet isn't.  No time for the crab cake recipe right now but will get it done tonight or tomorrow morning.  It is taken from Cook's magazine and I have served it to a restaurant owner who asked for the recipe and is still using it today, as far as I know. 

I live in Hanover, PA but I work in Gaithersburg.  Grew up in Columbia.  Thanks for the recipe.  I will be trying it out tomorrow and let you know how they turned out.  Hope your chicken turned out ok for ya.

Bryan

Porker

Another newbie here with a fresh, unseasoned BS and happy to see so many Marylanders on line! I'm from Kent Island where the crabs are fresh off the dock -- thanks for the recipe. I'm trying to catch up on all the posts, but I get the feeling the veterans use separate equipment to monitor the temp inside the box. The built-in gauge isn't accurate?

Oldman

Greetings Porker,
Quotebut I get the feeling the veterans use separate equipment to monitor the temp inside the box. The built-in gauge isn't accurate?
I would not trust the thermometer of the box. The first one I got was way off. The next one was closer but no cigar...

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

jaeger

Welcome to the forum Porker!
If you have not bought a remoter thermometer you may want to consider the Maverick et73. This thermometer has two probes, one for the meat and one for the cabinet temp.
Do a search and you should be able to find one pretty reasonable.

IKnowWood

Porker, welcome.  I am a few minutes up 301 from you. 

As for temp gauge, no, do not stick with the door thermo.  I used the ET73 for a while till I built a switch box with a Love TS device which has a seperate probe that I hang in there.   I have a box fulll of stuff, probes, remotes, gloves and such.  the TS device is on the side and I move it around as needed.  That is by far the best thing i made for this.  After a few months of long smoking / cooking with having to deal with the slide.... 

So much less effort now. 
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: IKnowWood on April 17, 2006, 06:30:48 PM
Porker, welcome.  I am a few minutes up 301 from you. 

As for temp gauge, no, do not stick with the door thermo.  I used the ET73 for a while till I built a switch box with a Love TS device which has a seperate probe that I hang in there.   

I used the ET-73 to monitor the cabinet until I got the Raptor/Guru. Now I use the ET-73 to monitor two internal temps. when I am smoking several cuts. I got an extra meat temperature probe, and plug that into the Smoker connection. You need to select the highest internal temperature to be set on the "Smoker" internal temperature probe. The  ET-73 will not accept any "cabinet" temperature lowwer then the meat temperature.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

manxman

I would throughly recommend the Maverick ET73, I have had one for a good while now and find it indispensable.
Manxman