Smoked Turkey Breast

Started by PMillen, January 07, 2012, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rxmar23

I know this is an old thread, but I need to express my appreciation for the turkey breast advice I got here. For Thanksgiving we did a conventional roasted turkey (well, it had a soy-mirin glaze, but was cooked traditionally) as well as a smoked turkey breast.

I followed the link in this thread, then surfed around that site and ended up choosing the apple cider brined turkey recipe. We had an 8 # breast, and I gave it 2 hours of apple smoke over about 5.5 hours of cooking at a 250 degree cabinet temp. It needed a little more cooking time than I had planned for (I was shooting for an IT of 155 degrees) and the oven was busy with other things, so I just FTC-ed it and we totally forgot about it until after everyone was stuffed and strewn about the house.

Well, I sliced it up the next afternoon, as my brother-in-law's family stayed the weekend, and it was a huge hit. All of our guests ate it for lunch, dinner, and snacks over the next 2 days. My stepson asked me to smoke one every week while he was home from school. It was a huge hit, thanks to all the tips offered freely here. You guys rock!

The stepson is home for winter break and I did a second one 3 days ago. Since temps were below 20F, I only smoked in the Bradley (we have a 6-rack BDS) -- 2.5 hours with apple and alder -- and finished in the oven, but it was just as delicious. Now the breasts are all sliced up, so it's time to use the rest for smoked turkey salad and soup.

I still have a lot to learn, but I know you all are there for me. Thanks!