Turkey breast

Started by hktkct, January 01, 2013, 06:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hktkct

Going to do a 8lbs bone in turkey breast, with 2hr apple smoke, after smoke I plan on putting it in kitchen oven at 300-325 til 165 IT,,question I have should I cover breast while in oven?? thanks

Tenpoint5

I would say no (Leave it uncovered) unless you want to retain moisture and end up with rubbery skin by covering it up
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Oakland_Smoke

I just got a Bradley and I just joined the forum. Will introduce myself in the appropriate place.

Just wanted to say I did a 6-pound turkey breast with minimal prep in the smoker at 220-240.

I basically squished up a stick of butter in my hands and covered the breast with it, then sprinkled with sea salt. Didn't brine, didn't do any of the fussy stuff I'd normally do.

Smoke (Alder) for two hours, oven set to 220 (and then 240 when i got impatient)

About 5.5 hours till it hit 155 and I let it rest.

Came out great. Moist, dense, maybe even a little too smoky.

devo

Well I am happy it turn out for you but you really should have cooked it a bit longer.

Internal Cooking Temperatures

You can't tell by looking. Use a digital food thermometer to be sure!
Food   Temperature
Poultry (e.g. chicken, turkey, duck)  - pieces   74°C (165°F)
Poultry - whole     85°C (185°F)
Food safety experts recommend using a food thermometer that gives an actual temperature reading, not just a range. Oven-safe thermometers stay in the food while it cooks. The instant-read type is used when you think the food is done.

Habanero Smoker

When only cooking white meat (either chicken or turkey), I only take the internal temperature to 152°F. When cooking chicken parts I place the white meat on a seperate tray and take them out early, and let the dark meat continue to cook to 165°F.

Though you should cook to a temperature you feel comfortable with, below is a link that compares the USDA/FSIS recommended internal meat temperatures, with what is also considered a safe temperature.
When Is Meat Done?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)