SmokeHouse Robber... Phil's Famous Cioppino at Moss Landing...

Started by owrstrich, April 19, 2006, 06:08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

owrstrich

im in salinas for a week... was thinking about this... what you think...

http://www.philsfishmarket.com/fishmarket/specialties/cioppino.html

phils cioppino has 7 different types of seafood in it:

dungeness crab... prawns... calamari... mussels... scallops... clams... fish...

"it all started in 1988 when Phil started demonstrations for cooking fish and
cioppino when one day someone came in and said that they were going to
a dinner party... the man put $100 down on the counter for a pot and all the
cioppino that could fit in it... after that phil decided to expand his fish market
to include an eatery too..

you gotta eat...

owrstrich
i am johnny owrstrich... i disapprove of this post...

JVR

tsquared

owrstrich

i didnt make it today but i will tomorrow...

we did go to a seafood buffet though... salmon... tuna... sole... fried cod... crabb claws... crabb leggs... crabb cakes... mussels... oysters on the half... seafood soup... shrimp... shrimp... shrimp... shrimp...

it was 60 deg... cloudy... windy... today around the monterey bay... more of the same tomorrow they say... but who cares cause im going to phils for cioppino...

right now just gotts a tilted kilt...

more later...

owrstrich

icerat4

Looks like something a china cook in chicago would throw out in the back ally ;D.LOL.

OmegaMan

owrstrich,

Have you ever been to Durate's in Pescadero? They have really good chippino (cumin, nlite-tomato based broth) and their Olallieberry pie just one an award for the best pie in the country.  Definately worth a stop for just a slice of pie.

owrstrich

omeg...

im gonna be working sfo for a week in the fall...

crab cioppino... dungeness crab... prawns... clams... in a delicate tomato based sauce with onion... garlic and cumin...

i bookmarked it... http://duartestavern.com/

ill let you know when we are going... perhaps you would like to tag along...

you gotta eat...

owrstrich

Kummok

OmegaMan

Quoteill let you know when we are going... perhaps you would like to tag along...
Absolutely.  Just let me know when you're going and I'll try to meet up with ya...

QuoteFishwife in Pacific Grove (http://www.fishwife.com/).....ANYTHING on their menu is worth the drive from Salinas!!
I love Pacific Grove.  Next time I'm down there I'll check out fishwife.  Thanks for the recommendation Kummok...

BTW, I have a great Mussels with garlic and wine sauce recipe if anyone is interested.  Takes 10 minutes to make tops and is well
worth it...

iceman

OmegaMan

I don't know if this is the right spot for this but:

Thanks for the link Phillip!

I have a appetizer that is really simple but tastes outstanding.

Mussels in white wine and garlic

Saute half a garlic globe (yes half a garlic globe) in 1/4 cup of olive oil and 2 Tablespoons of butter. Add enough white wine (chardonnay or any other semi-sweet wine) to steam the mussels. Add a lb of mussels (24-30) and increase heat to medium high and cover yet vent. Steam the mussels for 3 to 5 minutes or until they have all opened. Discard those that haven't opened. Taste and add salt to suit. Add 2 Tablespoons of fresh thyme and dish. Sprinkle mussels with 1/4 cup of parmesiano regiano chesse and serve with french bread for sucking up the juice.

I suppose this would work well with clams as well.

Cheap, tastes great and the guests are impressed.

My key lime cheesecake is even better.   ;)