Needed Some Cheese

Started by rcger, December 16, 2012, 07:34:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rcger

I was running low on cheese so I made a trip to my local Costco and came home with 30 pounds.  I bought 20 pounds of Cheddar and 10 pounds of Gouda.  It's smoked and wrapped.  The hard part is the wait!

There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

GusRobin

Some? I wonder what "a lot" would be?  Good looking cheese.
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

Keymaster

Thats A big load of cheese, Very nice!!

rcger

My two sons have already laid claim to some of it.  Another friend bought 4 pounds of Cheddar and 2 pounds of the Gouda. 
There's room for all of God's critters right next to the mashed taters and gravy!

pensrock

Nice, I've done about 50 pounds the last two weekends and a guy at work has done over 80 pounds. Plus all the pepperoni. Been busy. :)

sage03

Just a quick quest...wondering why you left the rind on the Gouda,,,do you know somthing I don't?

tskeeter

Ditto to Sage's question.  I've been peeling the wax off my Gouda before smoking.  If I don't need to .....

For what it's worth, my practice has been to apply about 40 minutes of apple.  Are applying more smoke since you leave the wax on the cheese?  I'm also aging for only a short period of time, a week or two, before starting to eat the cheese.  Are you aging longer to allow a longer smoke to fully penetrate the cheese?

NePaSmoKer

If you leave the wax on the smoke wont get to the cheese  :o

RedJada

Smoked some cheese two weeks ago. Tried a bite yesterday, still had a little ashtray taste to it. Ill try again for new years.

Bear1968

Quote from: RedJada on December 21, 2012, 04:20:35 PM
Smoked some cheese two weeks ago. Tried a bite yesterday, still had a little ashtray taste to it. Ill try again for new years.

Another 4 weeks and you will be fine!  ;)
UBC Local 268