My Smoked cheese from 12/08/12

Started by RedJada, January 12, 2013, 02:02:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedJada

After a month getting happy, its finally ready! My first smoked cheese. The flavor of this is just out of this world! So for its first mission (besides sampling) I'm going to use some of the cheddar to top off some cold smoked burgers finished off on the grill. The smoke should be rolling now so gota run. Ill post later, Yum...

devo

I do a lot of frozen pizza's for my 9 year old son and adding smoked cheese to them just make them better.

RedJada

Quote from: devo on January 12, 2013, 02:15:52 PM
I do a lot of frozen pizza's for my 9 year old son and adding smoked cheese to them just make them better.

That's what the motz is for. Made plenty of home made pizza, but never with smoked cheese. Looking forward to that.

cathouse willy

It's a wonder how the taste of smoked cheese improves with time. The cheese firms up some and the smoke flavor permeates more and mellows. I've never waited 5 weeks to start eating my smoked cheese before. What a difference. An old dog just learned a new trick.

OU812

That there cheese looks gooood

I use smoked cheese on just about every thing I cook with cheese in the mix

Tenpoint5

Quote from: cathouse willy on January 12, 2013, 04:54:05 PM
It's a wonder how the taste of smoked cheese improves with time. The cheese firms up some and the smoke flavor permeates more and mellows. I've never waited 5 weeks to start eating my smoked cheese before. What a difference. An old dog just learned a new trick.

Just finished my last package of smoked cheddar from a batch that I did in Feb, 12
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoker John

Bradley Digital 4 Rack
Bradley BS712

cathouse willy

[/quote]
Just finished my last package of smoked cheddar from a batch that I did in Feb, 12
[/quote]

Tenpoint, how do you store your cheese to keep it for so long?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: cathouse willy on January 13, 2013, 11:13:30 AM

[/quote]

Tenpoint, how do you store your cheese to keep it for so long?
[/quote]

I vac seal it then through it in the back of the bottom shelf of my beer fridge then pack beer in front of it so I forget it is back there
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Jim O

TP5 - I did the same thing,but mine was Nov./2011.

Just like finding a $20 bill in your coat pocket !

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

RedJada

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 12, 2013, 06:12:33 PM
Quote from: cathouse willy on January 12, 2013, 04:54:05 PM

I polished one chunk out of 4. I already feel I need to make some more. Doing pizza tonight with the motz. Yummy.

cathouse willy

Forgive me for asking but you're using ordinary store bought cheese smoked, vac packed and stored in the frig and it will last for a year or more? This is something I'd like to try. Anyone willing to try and describe the flavor,texture of year old smoked cheddar?

Jim O

I usually cold smoke with either hickory or maple for 2 hrs,let stand on the counter for about 2 hrs,then vac seal and into the frig.

After a year,the texture is the same as 2-3 month old cheese,and the smoke flavour is just perfect,IMHO.

It doesn't get too strong,and I'm always happy to find a piece of "lost" cheese in the frig.

Jim O
- smoking
-boating
- motorcycling
- how do I find time to sleep !

RedJada

Quote from: cathouse willy on January 13, 2013, 06:19:38 PM
Forgive me for asking but you're using ordinary store bought cheese smoked, vac packed and stored in the frig and it will last for a year or more? This is something I'd like to try. Anyone willing to try and describe the flavor,texture of year old smoked cheddar?

Yes, ordinary store bought works great! Remember your are cold smoking so just use the SG to keep the temps below 90. I f you see it getting to warm, toss in a bowl of ice. When the cheese first comes off, it tastes just like an ashtray. You dont have to believe me on this but that's your choice. The cheese you see here in the pic was smoked on 12/08/12 and its just now ready. I guess its kinda like wine, the longer you wait the better. As for texture, you wont notice to much difference right out of the smoker. Maybe a little darker. Let it rest for awhile then seal. With mine after 5 weeks the texture turned a little darker and firmed up a bit. As for flavor, you will just have to wait and see.  :P :P :P

The smoked motz. pizza came out great! Sorry I dint take pictures but I wanted to smoke something different one day and smoked my camera. It didn't come out very well. ??? Just kidding. New camera arrived today and plan on doing more cheese this weekend. (cant have too much of this stuff) and probably some kind of meat.

pokermeister

Store bought cheese. My first time for cold smoking cheese was on 12-17-12. Being impatient  :o , I sampled a very small piece starting on 1-3 (yuk!), 1-7 (more yuk!), 1-11 (still yuk), 1-17 (one month-hmm, has potential, but still a little smoky), 1-19 very good flavor. Smoked cheese will not stay very long in my fridge, so I will have to smoke about 5 pounds every week from now on.....another tough problem ;)
Life is short, eat the dessert first!