More Ham

Started by cathouse willy, January 02, 2013, 02:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cathouse willy

I'm having the family over this Sunday for ham dinner. I started with the shank end of a pork leg and used Habanero's recipe. I varied it a bit after the brine and rest period by cold smoking it for 2 days and then going back to habs recipe for the hot smoke and cook It's resting in the fridge till sunday when it will get baked with the glaze. Early taste test is very good and it will improve over the resting time. I'm hoping for the best of the hot and cold smoke.

[url][/url]

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb368/cathousewilly/2013_01010005-1.jpg[/img]]

beefmann

Habanero Smoker

Your ham looks great, I just took one out of the smoker last night at 11PM.

If I understand you correctly, you cold smoke for two sessions over two days, then applied smoke again during the hot smoke/cooking time. Let me know how the smoke flavor is. What wood did you use, how many hours of smoke, at what temperature did you cold smoke at, and did you smoke the full 4 hours during hot smoking?

I was just looking at an article I had read some time ago. The article stated that hot smoking deposits smoke vapors seven times faster then cold smoking; but cold smoking deposits more of the compounds in smoke that provide a sweet-spicy taste. You have done both, so the results should be interesting.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

mikecorn.1

Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
Mike

OU812

Thats gotta be soooooo gooood

cathouse willy

I cold smoked with maple at 75 f for 3 1/2 hours per day for two days and then 3 1/2 hours at 160 f on the third day.Then up to 225 untill the it was 145f. This Sunday I'll bake it with the glaze as per Hab's recipe

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for the additional information.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

cathouse willy

Well ham dinner was a hit with the family, most of the leftovers went home with the daughters. I'm left with the scraps and a large bone that will make some good soup. Was the extra two days of smoke worth it? It was smokier and still juicy but Habs original recipe ham got the same rave reviews. I would do it this way again.Hats off to Brewoz for the cold smoke idea and Habenero for a great ham recipe.

Brewoz

Glad you like the extra cold smoke. I triple smoke 10 Christmas hams for friends and family. They all complemented on the smoky, juicy ham. I wouldn't  think of not cold smoking ham or bacon.

Keith 
Beer Guy At Snow Creek

cathouse willy

You must have a mighty smoker for that many hams, I can only do one at a time. I'd love to see pictures.

Habanero Smoker

If I can find a fresh ham around Easter time, I will try the triple cold smoke method.

I'm going to revise my recipe for no soaking. My last ham I did not soak. I just rinsed the salt and spices off the surface, and the salt taste was at the level I like, and I don't like it too salty.

I
         don't
                   inhale.