DIY dual PID control

Started by DukeNukeIt, January 03, 2013, 08:29:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DukeNukeIt

So first off I would have to say that this project was NOT cheaper then just buying the dual temp control from Auber instruments  :(  But it was quite a bit more fun  ;)

I picked up two PID controls, one is the regular control, the other one is the Ramp/soak SSR style control for step programming.

I also picked up some different colored lamps, and an alarm for an over-temp alert.  (If the cabinet temp reaches 350 or higher, the entire control box will shut down and the alarm will go off until power is shut off.)

The back has cutouts for the re-circulation fan, and the heater control, plus both the food temperature probe, and the cabinet temp probe.

I installed some terminal strips, a lock-out relay, and the SSR with it's heat sink into the control box.

I then wired everything up using the schematic I came up with:

Here is the fully wired control box:

And after I attached the front and back:

After a full checkout and test-run, I closed up the control box and added labels:

So far so good, I've done a couple of smokes now, and everything is working fine.  Should not have any problems if there is ever the need to make any modifications later so the future looks bright  8)

Quarlow

Wow that does look like it was a fun project. Reminds me of a company that is no longer around called "Heathkit". They made all kinds of eletronic kits you could buy and build. My dad built a loudhailer for his boat. I use to look threw those catalogues all day long. I wish they were still around. I love to build stuff like that but I need instructions. LOL
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Silvergrizz

Heathkit, think I might still have one or two their catalogs somewhere. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3rensho

Very, very nice.  I'll bookmark this project.  Thanks for posting.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

muebe

That is one clean installation!

You don't want to see the bird's nest I have for my Traeger PID controller  :o ;D
Natural Gas 4 burner stainless RED with auto-clean
2 TBEs(1 natural gas & 1 LP gas)
OBS(Auberins dual probe PID, 900w finned element & convection fan mods)
2011 Memphis Select Pellet Smoker
BBQ Grillware vertical smoker(oven thermostat installed & converted to natural gas)

squirtthecat

WOW, very nice!

Ditto on the Heathkit catalogs....    I loved looking through that stuff as a kid.

beefmann

DukeNukeIt

Heathkit was headquartered here in Michigan.  I remember my father building their kits also.  Might even have a few of the old finished "kits" still laying around.  It was a fun project, but I'm glad it is over and working great!

buttburner

I still have a automotive engine multi tester that I built from a Heathkit.

I am from the Detroit area. The store was on 8 mile.

I always wanted to build a TV from one of those kits!!

nice job on that.

Mr Walleye

DukeNukeIt

Nice Job!  8)

It' very similar to the controller I built for my 220v watt burner. The only difference was I added a cooling fan for the SSR because it's switching a lot more power and I had a dedicated PID, TC & Contactor setup as a high limit switch.

Excellent work!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

jimbloomfield

Very clean . Nothing like what my work with anything electrical looks.

Keymaster

Very Nice job, My Dad still uses the Stereo/radio amplifier he built 40 years ago from Heathkit.

Quarlow

Yup too bad Heathkit isn't still around, we all would be building PID's and remote thermo's and whatnot.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

DetroitSmoke

Wow Heathkit that sure takes me back.  I built their VTVM (vacuum tube volt meter) when I was in grade school.  A PID sure would be a fun project
Bradley BTIS1
Dual Element or Single w/switch
convection fan/switch, extra racks
Big Chief cold smoke gen
Kirkland SS Gas Grill
Please buy me a dual probe PID

hutcho

Posting to find this again later

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2