brine AND rub?

Started by cackler69, January 19, 2013, 06:31:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cackler69

#1. Do I need to brine if I want to rub? (Generic question for any smoked meat) I'm going to attempt mixing up some Jan's  ;D
#2. If I rub...is it just rub and smoke? Or rub, wrap and refrigerate... before smoke?
#3. I'm going to smoke duck BREAST wrapped in bacon...didn't like it whole....any tips?

Mrs. C  :-*

Ka Honu

Quote from: cackler69 on January 19, 2013, 06:31:22 PM
#1. Do I need to brine if I want to rub? (Generic question for any smoked meat) Depends on your preference.  Poultry yes.  Seafood probably.  Pork - I inject and rub.  Ribs - just rub.  Brisket - some inject and almost all all rub.  I'm going to attempt mixing up some Jan's  Good call. Watch the salt if you brine. ;D
#2. If I rub...is it just rub and smoke? Or rub, wrap and refrigerate... before smoke?People do it both ways.  Personally I don't think rub needs to go on early unless you're using it as a "dry brine."
#3. I'm going to smoke duck BREAST wrapped in bacon...didn't like it whole....any tips? Find a Chinese restaurant or butcher and let them do it (I find duck too much trouble to do myself but I have lots of Chinese restaurants around).

cackler69

Dry brine? Sounds good to me.

Don't have that luxury with the ducks...(Chinese restaurant  :o ).....they're a staple during hunting season so I'm required to figure out a suitable way to smoke them. (Per hubby)

Thank you!