Curry Powder!

Started by jjmoney, January 03, 2013, 08:42:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjmoney

That old dusty bottle on your shelf? Throw it away now. (Throw out all your other ground spices while you are at it).

Commercial curry powders are generally bland and strange, and are adulterated with all kinds of non-yummy stuff. Here is a recipe for curry powder taken from one of Julie Sahni's books. I use it whenever I need it and give away batches to friends.

1 cup coriander seeds
1 1/2 t cumin seeds
1 1/2 t black mustard seeds (or yellow if you're in a pinch)
1 1/2 t fenugreek seeds
1 1/2 t black peppercorns
1 T turmeric (the original recipe calls for more, but I cut it back)
15 dried red chilies OR as much cayenne or other chilli pepper powder as you like
several sprigs of curry leaves

NOTE: the curry leaves should be available at any decent Indian grocery store. There is no substitute. If you can't find them, just make the powder without them.

Dry roast all ingredients one at a time in a pot or pan over medium heat just enough to heat through and give them a little bit of a tan. Don't overdo the roasting, especially with the fenugreek seeds. Shake or stir frequently. Put all seeds and chillies back in your pan with a bunch of curry leaves, stir, and shut off heat. Allow to cool and then grind. (You want the curry leaves to dry but not lose their flavor. If your garage is very cold, I have found that they will freeze-dry if you leave them loose in a shopping bag. If you can dry them this way, don't heat them). Mix in turmeric and store in sealer jars in a freezer - it will last for years or until you use it in the freezer.

I promise you anything made with this powder will be much, much more tasty than any commercial curry powder.