Just Getting Started

Started by Mbramhall, January 05, 2013, 09:22:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mbramhall

I'm new to Bradley Smokers Christmas gift from the greatest Wife and 3 daughters.

To date I have successfully cold smoked 3 blocks of sharp cheddar cheese, and last night I did the Atomic Buffalo Treat (jalapeño poppers) which turned out great.

Now I want to try a beef tenderloin (3lbs tenderloin roast).

I'm in Nebraska (smoker outside (shielded from the wind)) the average daytime temp is 28-32 degrees

Looking for advice.

PS: I don't have an indoor enclosure/structure to put the smoker in, so it's stuck outside in the cold.

drano

Congrats on the Bradley, and welcome.  You'll get lots of help here.
I bought my OBS years ago in Nebraska City when I lived south of Omaha.
Glad to see you're working your way up for experience.
A tenderloin may be a little more difficult since it doesn't have a lot of fat in it.  I've never done one, or pork loin, so the only advise I'll give is wrap it in bacon to give it some fat.  Hopefully others will be here soon for more advise. 
Other easy meats--whole chicken, and pork butt. 
Then move into ribs and brisket, and you'll be an expert in no time. 
Post pics of your smokes so we can drool over your accomplishments.
good smokin

beefmann

Alanfromwis

Just a note on the 900 watt element, the newer style has 1 wire connection on each end, instead of both on 1 end.
Retirement means every day is Saturday except Sunday

Mbramhall

Wow thanks for the advice, but I really don't feel confident about having to modify a smoker I just bought.

The shelter does look convenient

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mbramhall;

Welcome to the forum.

I have never smoked/cook a tenderloin in the Bradley, but have cooked plenty of Top Loins. Top Loins have a little more marbling the Tenderloins, but the technique should still work. Here is a link to how I smoke/cook them:
Smoke Top Loin

If you don't like rosemary reduce it or eliminate it. I have used a variety of rubs pastes and have achieved good results.

Depending on what internal temperature you are aiming at you may want to take it out of the smoker sooner then 120°F; also use a lower roasting temperature of around 400°F the first time, or you may overshoot you IT.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Ketch22

buttburner

I would not modify the smoker. You just got it.

Enjoy it.

It works just fine out of the box.

I did put a PID controller and the 2nd heat element on mine after about 5 years.

I do love the improvements, but there really aren't needed.

I would comb the internet for smoked tenderloin recipes. I dont have any experience with them

the one thing I would get if you dont have one is a good digital meat thermometer.

Mbramhall

Great advice and I did.  I got a wireless digital meat thermometer so I can monitor the meat team from inside the house.

I've marinated the tenderloin overnight with a olive oil and dry rub. 

My plan is to pre-heat the smoke to hopefully 200-220 F (High temp forecast for 36F) will smoke for 2 hours (will place meat on 2nd lowest rack) with apple and set alarm for internal temp of 125 F.

Then I will bring it inside and put in the oven (400F) for 10-15 minutes or until internal gets to 135 F, pull form the oven (Cover) and let internal temp get to 140 for medium rare.

Wish me luck, will post the results later.

Habanero Smoker

I know this is too late, but you should use the second rack from the top or the second rack from the bottom.

You should have tried the egg white, I don't have any scientific proof, but I feel once the cornstarch and egg white set, it helps the meat retain juices.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mbramhall

Turned out great, ended up keeping the tenderloin in the smoker until it reached a temp of 148F had to crank up the heat in the smoker to 220 F.

Cooked the meat for 3.5 hours and smoke for 2.5 hours.  Meat was tender and fantastic.