Fill 'er up?

Started by xilinxchic, June 23, 2004, 04:19:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MallardWacker

Diane,

About this baisting thing.  One thing you will like about the BS is that some of the things you see and hear, like on the food network, you really won't have to do-like baisting.  I will gaurunteeee you that you will make the most flavorable and tender butts/shoulders in the world with the BS and won't have to baiste.  

I cook my butts @ 220 till an internal temp of 185, 12-13hrs.

I only open the door about half way through.  I must past to the brisket mongers here but: I have heard of plenty of cooking times in the same range of 12+ hours.  If I was trying this for the first time, this would be my sugestion.  Use 4 hours of your favorite smoke, use the two top racks if you can, put the thermometer into the butt, check at 6 hrs, rotate racks if you have to(using the top racks-Idon't think you will) wait till til you butt temp comes up to 185, pull the butt then check your brisket for temp end tenderness.  

I know it will be hard, I mean very hard, BUT- KEEP THAT DOOR SHUT!

I know evryone is saying, there goes Mallard with his towl thing again.  When you pull the butt, wrap it in foil then in an old towl for 2 hrs.(maybe lettting you brisket cook for a bit longer at the same time it's in the towl)

Again, these are meager thoughts of someone who looks at wrecked vehicles all day and wishes he was smoking alot more often and I am very shure that there are others with a better grasp on this.

Most important, have fun, even if you mess up a little it's all good.

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

Bassman

I can affirm that letting the meat rest wrapped on foil and a towel will help keep it moist. I tried it and I like it![:D]

<i><font color="blue"><b>Jack</i></font id="blue"></b>
Jack

xilinxchic

Hey thanks ya'll for all the help - boy was it a success!!!!!  
I did a 12 lb brisket plus 2 8lb butts, which I thought was a considerable amount of meat.  They got done sooner than I would have expected ('bout 9 hours for the butts @ 180 degrees) but they were as tender as can be.  The meat went fast, with not a drop of leftovers for the chef.  So needless to say, I'm quite anxious for my next conquest...
thanks again for all your input.

Diane
Vernon, CT