optimum temp for cold smoking cheese?

Started by 4given, January 08, 2013, 09:15:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4given

Since I burnt up my Bradley I have resorted to  cold smoking some cheese with the AMNPS and a Smoke Vault 24".

Since there is no insulation the temp inside the smoker is fairly cold. It's not freezing the cheese or anything.

I am finding that even though I smoke for several hours the cheese does not take the smoke very well.

When I warm the unit up to 50 deg F or so the cheese takes the smoke a lot better.

In this cold weather should you maintain a certain cabinet temp for cold smoking cheese?
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

devo

I use 70°-90°F depending on soft to hard cheese

OU812

Habanero Smoker

I use a cabinet temperature of 65 - 75°F, after applying smoke I will bloom them in the smoker at around 70°F for a couple of more hours. That blooming time seems to add additional color.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

4given

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 08, 2013, 01:07:20 PM
I use a cabinet temperature of 65 - 75°F, after applying smoke I will bloom them in the smoker at around 70°F for a couple of more hours. That blooming time seems to add additional color.

I'll try that!
Not Perfect but Forgiven
Bradley BTIS1
Green Mountain Grill "Daniel Boone" Pellet Grill
Webber "Q" 100

pensrock

smokinjoe73

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: smokinjoe73 on March 20, 2013, 07:37:58 PM
forgive me...what is blooming >?

The way it is used here means to air dry for a specific time inside the Bradley at around 70°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on January 08, 2013, 02:14:20 PM
80-95 F here. works great.

Follow pens advice. He has cold smoked more cheese than anyone.

Bugnut

I smoked some yesterday for the first time. I didn't have the heating element on, outside temp around 35. The cheese did not take any color. Can I re-smoke it with heat or is this just going to be some bad smoked cheese?

Waltz

It depends on what color the cheese was before you smoked it, whether it will take any color during smoking. Try a small piece, if it tastes like the bottom of an ashtray it is probably OK and has enough smoke. Just pack it up and leave it in the fridge for a month or more and the proper smoke taste will develop. If there is no smoke flavor at all then I would say re-smoke it.

pensrock

Just cause it did not take on any color does not mean it did not get some smoke. How long did you smoke it? What was the temp inside the tower? What kind of wood did you use? All these thing make a difference. I would try it and if you want more smoke than resmoke it for a short time.

Bugnut

I used Peach and the cabinet temp reached 50 degrees, it does have a good smoke smell to it. It was four different kinds, baby swiss, aged cheddar, medium cheddar and pepper jack. Our son is getting married at the end of July and I was thinking it should be really good by then.

pensrock

All those cheeses take smoke really well, I have not used peach but do use a lot of apple, I think they would be about the same. If you smoked them for at least two hours then I would leave them sit and mellow. If only one hour then I would give them another hour. I have found around here, more people prefer the american pepper cheese over the pepper jack. Also horseradish cheese smoked it real good. Next weekend I'm going to smoke five pounds of presliced american for sandwiches and a large stick of Hormel pepperoni. Mmmmm

Bugnut

Thanks for the advice! I think I'll just let it sit. I did apply 2hr 20min smoke.